28

Thursday, April 18 2019

"That's all for today," Kismet announced as she went to grab Micah's crutch from where it stood, resting against the wall.

She passed it to him, which he took with a grateful smile, using it to stand up. "Thanks," he replied.

"Can you send me the two stretches you wanted me to do?" he requested unsurely.

She nodded, "Yeah, they'll be in your inbox by the time you're home."

He nodded, relieved. "Great. Thanks, Doctor, I'll see you on the 23rd," he said with a light smile.

Kismet waved to him as he left the room, picking up her phone once he was out of sight to send him the stretches he had requested. Completing the small task, she glanced at the time to note it was 5:47 pm. They had finished ahead of schedule.

Content that she had a few minutes to spare, she leisurely walked to the lounge to retrieve her things, moving in the same slow motion towards her car once she stepped out of the building.

The drive back to her place was uneventful, and she had avoided the traffic by taking neighborhood roads. Pulling into the parking lot of her apartment complex, she parked in the pickup zone.

She sat in the comfort of her car as she called Wesley. "I'm here," she greeted when he picked up the phone. There was some shuffling on his end before he hung up the call.

She looked at her phone in offended alarm, before the movement in her peripheral vision caught her eye.

Wesley walked out of the building doors, professor's carrier in one hand and two drinks in his other. One was a lidded coffee mug, for himself. The other was her blender bottle with a smoothie in it.

She felt her heart beat increase as she moved to unlock the doors for him. He set Professor in the back seat, buckling him in place before closing the door after him. Then, he pulled open the passenger door, sliding in with ease.

His scent filled the car, the air around Kismet smelling like his Giorgio Armani cologne and coffee.

After placing their drinks in the cupholders, he buckled himself in. Then, he turned to face her, his eyes roaming over her face—acutely settling on her lips—and then her eyes.

"Hey," he greeted with a delayed smile.

She returned it. "Hey. Do you have everything?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Both of our bags are in the trunk," he replied.

They had decided Kismet would drive them to the airport since she was familiar with the parking procedures. Due to her tendencies, she had forced Wesley to help her take their bags to her car earlier in the day, before she left for work, so they wouldn't have to do it now.

"Speaking of," he muttered, shifting in his seat to reach a hand into his pocket. He pulled out her keys, "here," he said, dropping them in the appropriate console compartment.

"Thankyou," she said quietly, refocussing on her surroundings as she pulled out of the parking lot.

She often drove with her left hand, her right hand lightly drumming against the bottom of the steering wheel—getting bored and shifting to fondle with the shift stick—before slipping a finger into one of the rips in her jeans.

Wesley sat quietly, his eyes following the movement of her hand. He would glance at Kismet every now and then. He watched the way her eyebrows furrowed as she focussed, the dimple in her cheek indenting the soft skin when she'd bite her lip in concentration at intersections, or when she was changing lanes.

Kismet felt his gaze on her, turning to glance at him briefly. "What?" she demanded.

He bit back a smile at her attitude. "Nothing," he replied.

She shook her head. "We're basically here," she announced instead, taking the exit off of the highway.

They walked through the terminals towards theirs. Kismet felt lighter, having loaded off her bag at the check in. She had stopped by A&W once they had made it past security, and now she walked happily with a half eaten burger in one hand and her smoothie in the other.

Wesley was holding Professor's carrier, his other hand stuffed into his hoodie pocket. He had left his coffee mug in her car, having finished the drink during the drive.

They sat down in the chairs making up the waiting lounge for their flight terminal, neither overly aware of their surroundings.

Kismet shifted towards him, lifting up her burger to his mouth. He glanced down at it for a second before lifting a hand to hold hers in place as he took a bite.

She felt the warmth of his hand sear through her skin, pulling it away to take a little bite of her own. She sipped on her drink before offering that to him too, but he shook his head.

"No thanks, baby," he murmured, not processing the endearment before it left his mouth.

Kismet felt her mouth dry up, simply staring at him for a moment. He diligently avoided her eyes though, looking forward. A muffled announcement sounded, and then he abruptly stood up, clearing his throat.

"That's us," he said, lifting the carrier. He walked ahead of her—but only a couple of steps—leaving a short distance between them. She purposely walked slightly slower, so she could hide her now red face. Low platelet count my ass, she thought sourly.

The boarding was a short process, and they were walking down the aisle to their seats a while later. Wesley sat down first, resting Professor's carrier at his feet. Kismet followed suit, sliding into the seat next to him.

She sighed in relief at the feeling of the plush seats, a contrast to those in the waiting area.

She pulled on her belt as the flight attendant made some safety announcements, fidling with her watch as she waited for the plane to take off. She checked the time, simultaneously switching it to airplane mode.

Wesley shifted in his seat, getting comfortable against the window. He pulled out the small pillow from beside him, shoving it under his head so he could rest comfortably.

He saw Kismet frowning at him, biting back a smile. "I thought you didn't want the window seat," he said, recalling her words from the night before.

Her frown deepened. "I don't," she insisted uselessly.

Wesley rolled his eyes, extending his arm slightly and motioning with his hand. "Come here," he said, calling her bluff.

Kismet bit back a giddy smile of her own, lifting the arm rest between them and shuffling towards him. She propped her legs up on the seat, leaning into his chest.

He wrapped his free arm around her, the other resting against the window. In a cat-like manner, she curled up against his side, shifting once or twice before her breathing steadied. She was able to fall asleep in minutes.

He glanced down at her, an uncomfortable feeling of unease washing over him as he noticed how tired she usually was. He sighed, shaking his head before dropping his chin to place a kiss against her hair.

"You overwork yourself," he mumbled to her unresponsive form, tightening his arm around her before looking out of the window as the plane ascended.