Under the Rainfall: Cold Soba (Episode 5)

Under the Rainfall: Episode 5

"Cold Soba"

Momo arrives at the destination in which Shoto sent her. A festival was happening around the area. Food stalls and different theme park rides surround the entire area. She looks around, not seeing Shoto.

Momo: (Is he late? He texted me to meet here...)

Momo looks down at her phone. A notification appears on her cellphone.

*Texting*

Shoto: Yaoyorozu, are you here? I've already ordered.
for the two of us.
Momo: Yeah, I arrived right now. :)

Shoto: I'm sitting outside near the back entrance.

Momo: I'll be right there, Todoroki! :3

Momo paces back and forth for a few moments. She eventually swallows her nervousness and walks briskly to the back entrance of the restaurant. To her surprise, she doesn't see Shoto sitting anywhere alone.

Momo: Am I at the wrong restaurant...? This so embarrassing, I have to ask Todoroki again...

Eijiro: Heyyy! There she is!

Momo embarrassingly looks to the direction of the sound. There, she sees all of her classmates sitting on one, huge table.

Momo: K- Kirishima? Everyone, what are you doing here?

Mezo: Well, Todoroki messaged us all in the class group chat!

Yuga: And he asked us all to join him in the festival — c'est magnifique!

Minoru: Hey, Yaoyorozu! Sit beside me — I'll treat you!

Momo: Thanks, but... no thanks. Everyone, have any of you by chance seen Todoro-

Shoto: Yaoyorozu?

Momo swiftly turns around and sees Shoto standing behind her.

Momo: T- Todoroki...?

Shoto: Your... outfit is cute... Momo.

Class 1-A stares at Shoto and Momo in awe.

Shoto: Shall we sit?

Momo: O- Of course! L- Let's go sit down!

Shoto and Momo take seats beside one another. Eventually, the class moves on and begins conversing with one another.

Shoto: Momo, do you like soba?

Momo: Soba? It's... fine, I guess. But, Shoto, why did you invite all of our classmates to our date?

Shoto: Why not?

Momo: Well, a date is usually only between two people! Now, it looks like our entire class is just hanging out.

Shoto: Really? But Midoriya and Uraraka are on a date too.

Momo: Yes, but we shouldn't-... Wait, what now?

Shoto: Uraraka asked Midoriya out earlier this morning. When I proposed the idea that our entire class would go, they agreed that it could be like a... "trial date"?

Momo looks at Izuku and Ochaco from across the table. Ochaco attempts to feed Izuku Katsudon, but the spoonful of food accidentally falls. The two share a laugh before going back to their business.

Momo: I didn't know that Ochaco liked Midoriya...

Shoto: Really? It's obvious when you notice how much those two hang out all the time. Have you never seen Uraraka nor Midoriya blush around each other?

Momo: Now that you mention it... — But wait, how did you realize that Ochaco likes Midoriya when you don't even know what romance yourself is?

Shoto: Well... I always notice Midoriya getting flustered around Uraraka. Same goes vice versa. Seeing that made me connect the dots, and realize that's the same way that I feel about you.

Momo: (T- Todoroki... gets flustered around me? It sure doesn't look like it! I'm the one who looks flustered here!)

Shoto: Anyways, I didn't know what you liked, so I just bought a large bowl of cold soba. I apologize.

Momo: N-N-No, it's okay. It's fine, really. I'll just grab some chopsticks and eat with you.

Several awkward minutes of silence pass by. The date seemed to be going nowhere, and the feeling of the entirity of Class 1-A being around them wasn't helping in the slightest.

Shoto watches intently at Ochaco feeding Izuku. He notices that his other classmates are teasing the two, but they simply laugh it off.

Shoto: Momo... do you want to me to try feeding you?

Momo: E- Eh? Wh- Where did that come from all of a sudden?

Shoto: I just thought that Midoriya looked like he was enjoying it, and I want to make you happy, so...

Momo: *Blush* Is... that so? I guess.. you can feed me if you really want to...

Shoto turns and faces Momo. Momo sets her chopsticks aside, and faces Shoto as well. Shoto grabs a few noodles from the cold soba, and dips them in the soy sauce.

Not knowing what to do in this situation, Momo inches closer to Shoto's body, causing him to hesitate for a quick moment. Momo slightly parts her lips, preparing for the chopsticks to enter her mouth.

Shoto gazes directly at Momo's glistening lips, aiming for them. Shoto slowly, but steadily moves his hand towards Momo's mouth. Momo opens her lips and slurps the noodles, still looking into Shoto's eyes.

Shoto looks up and sees Momo staring at him while putting soba in her mouth. Shoto's eyes widen, and he begins to blush. Momo finishes sucking in the noodles, and she quickly, embarrasingly looks away and begins chewing.

...

After all of this, Momo realizes that her classmates have gone silent. She looks around her and sees everyone staring at her and Shoto. Mina is giggling, Kyoka is smirking, Izuku is flustered, Minoru is drooling, Tenya is chopping the air, Eijiro and Fumikage are still eating, and Katsuki doesn't care.

Momo: E- Everyone?

Shoto, still nervously blushing, stands up and grabs Momo by the hand. He quickly walks away along with her. They eventually make it a fair distance away from the restaurant.

Momo: Sh- Shoto?

Shoto bends his head down to apologize.

Shoto: I'm very sorry... I put you on the spot, and made everyone stare.

Momo: It's fine, don't even worry about it! For whatever it's worth,
I um... — *Blush* I enjoyed it...

Shoto: That's not all I want to apologize for. When I noticed the soba entering your mouth, I began having... intrusive thoughts...

Momo: (I- Intrusive... thoughts? What does he mean by that?)

Shoto: Please forgive me. I don't want to stoop as low as Mineta. I promise to never look at you that way again.

Momo: (Like Mineta...? Oh now, what do I even say in this situation?)
Ahem — Um, it's okay, Shoto! We all have fantasies that we can't control...

Shoto: I'll make it up to you by being the best date I can be. I promise to myself that you will have fun today, no matter what.

Momo giggles at how forward Shoto is.

Momo: I'll hold you to that promise then. Come on, we still have a whole day to spend!

With that, Shoto and Momo truly begin their date.