After the Rainfall: Before the Storm (Episode 20)

After the Rainfall: Episode 20

"Before the Storm"

"I'm sorry; the number you have dialed is not yet in service, or temporarily disconnected. If you feel you've reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again. If you would like to call emergency services-"

After listening to intercept message multiple times, Shoto drops the call in confusion. From behind him on his bed, Momo looks at Shoto sitting at the edge with his phone in hand, constantly trying to call a number to no avail.

Momo: *Yawn* Who are you calling so early in the morning...?

Shoto: *Mumble* I can't seem to reach her phone for some reason...

After being brushed off, Momo arises out of Shoto's blanket, and playfully tackles him from behind. She wraps her arms around him, and looks over his shoulders to see his phone.

Momo: Calling other girls already? Ahahaha — Come on, you know better than that...

Shoto: No, you've got it all wrong. I'm trying to call the receptionist at the hospital where my mother resides. I talk to her very often whenever I go to visit my mother, so she and I have become close friends.

Momo: Ohhh, a "close friend"? Tell me, is she cute?

Shoto: Yeah, a little. She's also a fresh-graduate our age. Why?

Momo: Pfft... You're such a stupid... ahahaha.

Shoto: Hahaha... I'm only kidding.

Momo: Wooah — Shoto making jokes? Who are you, and what have you done to my boyfriend?

Shoto: He's right here. Are you sure you still aren't half-asleep?

Momo giggles and lightly slaps Shoto on the back. She stands up from his bed, proceeding to go outside.

Momo: Put on a shirt, Shoto. I'm going back to my room.

Shoto: Oh, okay. Take care.

Momo smiles and waves goodbye. As she closes the door, Shoto tries to call the hospital once more to no avail. Suddenly, a thunder bolt strikes nearby, alerting him. Shoto looks outside of his balcony, and sees the heavy rain pouring from above. He opens the sliding glass door, and a gust of cold wind brushes inside of his room.

Shoto: *Shiver* (Damn, that's cold. Maybe I should've put on a shirt...)

Shoto observes the dark, morning clouds looming from above. He sees the multitude of thunder bolts striking in the distance. Somehow, a sense of uneasiness fills his mind, and Shoto immediately shuts the sliding door closed.

Shoto: (Something about this rain is different. It isn't the calming rains that Momo and I've experience before. Somehow... this rain is full of angst and dread.)

(This is definitely a sign from the gods that something bad is about to happen.... or has already happened.)

Shoto takes one last look outside, observing the dark morning sky above...

...

"Now, weather at Channel 8. Forecast tells us that the thunderstorms will only grow fiercer as the week, even month, goes on. Last night, multiple cellular towers were struck by thunder, so don't expect any calls to be going through any time soon."

"This phenomenon is currently being studied by our weather experts here at Channel 8. As you all may know, consistent precipitation happened during the whole month of December, and they've only been growing in frequency. Locally, we have received minimal snow despite it being the winter season. Instead of snowfall, the only downpour we have witnessed thus far had been rainfall."