The Champions of Alma (Executed)

Artemis moved soundlessly through the forest, her bare legs so tan they blended perfectly with the brown of the virgin earth. Colleen followed quickly behind, with Akane bringing up the rear.

            Akane was without humor, her usually playful face now stony. Colleen was almost joyful, anticipation running through her veins as the adrenaline built behind her mask of seriousness. Artemis seemed without feeling, but to her two companions the smell of her adrenaline saturated the air like rain.

            They crouched in the brush near the small subdivision, their small belts now overloaded with an arsonist’s toolkit.

            “Go, Akane.” Artemis whispered her husky voice cutting through the silent night.

            Akane merrily skipped out, walking towards the spot where the neighborhood ended. She quickly dropped a dark object and then ran towards the security office with a high-pitched scream.

            “Help!” She shrieked like a banshee, piercing the night like a knife. “A bomb! Someone’s got a bomb!”

            Security guards ran out, and Akane pointed towards the back of the road, her delicate voice weaving a web of lies. They all ran, and sirens soon sounded, wailing. People ran outside their houses in all sorts of alien getups. Security guards evacuated houses and herded sleepy vacationers to the huge mass that, to the three, seemed like a floating house.

            Colleen watched them until everyone seemed on the boat. Akane slipped through the ranks and ran through the houses underneath security’s radar. She made a hand signal to the other two, signaling they were all empty. Artemis and Colleen made eye contact, and Artemis allowed one small grin.

            With that they were both off, dumping stolen gasoline on every flammable substance in every house, moving like shadows disappearing in the night.

            Leaving a trail of gasoline from every house so that one match would ignite it all, they both stacked the strange canisters and moved out of the way. Artemis struck and lit one match, and without a word dropped it.

            The fire moved quickly, spreading into the houses much sooner than any of the three had expected.

            Upon seeing the fires that started seemingly from thin air, none of the boats hesitated to leave the premises. The security guards loaded on and cast off, speeding into the dark of the ocean, all unaware of two missing passengers.