The Champions of Alma (Curious)

“Augh! I’m exhausted! What are we even doing out here?” Jason fussed as he trudged along behind Alex’s restless frame.

“Shush you! I told you before, I saw something!” Alex snapped. Alex usually wasn’t this brave, but now all cowardice had left him and curiosity had overwhelmed his mind as he tugged and pushed away the brush.

“Coz, you know this place psyches me out,” Jason complained. It was now nightfall and exhaustion hand over come him, “Whatever you saw was the exact reason why I wanted to get the hell out of there!”

“Ah-don’t be such a bi-” Alex’s insult was stopped abruptly by his collision with the moss-covered trunk of a foreign tree. Jason let out a sigh of impatience as he waited for his cousin to regain a standing position.

“That’s it, I’m out of here! You can come if you want, but don’t cry to me when-” Jason’s departure was soon cut short by a sharp squeal. A stabbing chill escalated up both of the boys’ spines as rustling in a nearby bush came into their view. Another squeal arose as a large boar produced itself from the brush and scampered frantically, its hooves digging futilely at the moist undergrowth, before disconsolately dropping to the ground and being dragged back into the brush by an unknown force. The squeals were soon overpowered by the boys’ cowardly screams as they darted frightfully away, neglecting the fact that they were running in the opposite direction of which they had came from.

The flash of gold Alex has envisioned before now burst clearly into his mind once more. He was sure that whatever had knocked off his hat was coming to knock out him next.

The two continued their shouting and scampering until they finally broke completely through the foliage and into a queer clearing. Once enveloped by the emptiness, they’re fearful howls ended and silence encircled them. There was little light to aid them, but they could subtly make out the open field as the trickle of an unseen waterfall tickled they’re senses. The two stepped intriguingly further into the clearing, attempting to sniff out their location. The peaceful serenity only brought colder chills to their spines as the enveloping darkness smothered their senses.

Jason began to step ahead of Alex, anxiety engulfing him. As he blindly moved forward, Alex stayed three paces behind, trying to catch any detail the night might be hiding. Suddenly, the shifting texture under Alex’s bare feet gave insight on the corner they had brought themselves into. But before Alex could warn his ignorant companion, Jason had already stepped too far.

A rush of wind enveloped both of them as the ground was swept away from both pairs of feet. The sudden rush of air and anti-gravity was over as quick as it came, and was replaced by the constriction of thick fibers that confined them in the webbing.

All that Alex could say in response was a sardonic, “Way… to… go…”