The Champions of Alma (Prologue)

The crunches of twigs and leaves echoed through the treetops as dainty feet collided with the soft undergrowth. Giggling could be heard clearly as three swift figures swerved through the forest “Slow down!” a bold voice shook the leaves so violently that even the top-most branches quivered.

The small, swerving figure in the lead only moved faster, squealing delightedly with every step. The larger mass behind her groaned exasperatedly as she picked up speed as well. The person between the two continued to keep her steady pace as she pursued the girl ahead of her.

“Catch me if you can!” the girl in the lead teased as she began to perform some sort of serpentine motion.

The chaser cursed as she passed the middle girl who was unveiling just the slightest trace of a smile, a smile rarely presented to anyone but her two current companions.

  “Stay still!” the pursuer ordered.

 “Never!” the chasee protested as she skipped just out of her reach. Then, a sudden streak of clumsiness struck them both, causing them to squeal in unison as they tripped on the same tree root. A yelp escaped the chaser’s lips as she tackled her endlessly giggling victim.

 “Help!” the giggling girl managed to gasp. Their pursuer slowed abruptly as she drew closer to the tree where her companions had fallen. Irritably, she grasped the giggling girl’s hand and lifted her up from the foliage and her chaser’s strong arms.

 By the time the chaser had regained a standing position and began to brush herself off, the hyperactive one had already sprinted nearly twenty yards ahead. The two behind her followed reluctantly as she led them to their favorite cliff on their exotic island home. It was one particularly scenic spot where they took refuge. It was well known throughout their people, but rarely anyone but they sought revival there. It belonged only to the three.

The pursuer stayed silent as the loud one and the giggling one continued to banter back and forth. Eventually, she grew tired of following, and sprinted ahead of the two as she often did. The two behind her began to speed up in pursuit of her, but they could not match her determination and speed.

They began to break away from the brush. They were nearing the cliff, sensing it intuitively. The gentle waves signaled their arrival. The nature of their island was tranquil yet fierce. None could deny its radiation beauty. That’s most likely why it came. The girl’s were unknowing, until they reached the cliff’s face.

 The cliff was in sight, and the three were now in full sprint, each wanting to get there first. The silent one was still in the lead, but the other two were still close behind. Then, their leader froze. The sudden halt brought the followers’ bodies into a direct collision with their leader’s broad, tan back before they sprung back upon the earth, sprawled upon each other.

“Augh!” the loud one exclaimed, “What was-” but she paused once her eyes met her companion’s back. They stood up and fixed their points of vision to hers.

“What is it?” the once ecstatic girl whispered, now utterly serious. The only answer they received was a lifting of her arm as she pointed to the crashing waves in the distance. “Crap,” she replied.

“People,” they all spat in unison.