The Champions of Alma (Dread)

They were early. Too early, Alex thought as a yawn escaped his lips. With his eyes still half-closed and his hair in total disarray, it was obvious to see he was not particularly ready for their five hour cruise. He had never been on one, and had hoped that it would stay that way. He didn’t like boats, or airplanes, or any other type of transportation aside from a car to be exact. Needless to say, he wasn’t particularly thrilled about the last minute trip.

He turned and stared at his mother who was standing restlessly beside him and looking over his frenzied hair in an attempt to point out her brother and his spiteful cousin. Small pinches of doubt were felt in the back of his mind that suggested that Jason would refuse to come, but he knew very well that his cousin’s step-mother would not let that happen. He smiled in spite of himself at the thought of Jason on a trip to a seemingly uninhabited, or even explored, island. Campbell seemed interesting enough to him, but he would much rather be hacking on his computer in his crowded New York apartment than be on a five hour cruise to an island he had never heard of.

            Eventually, Alex’s cousin, uncle and step-aunt came into view and made their way to the dock he and his mother had been waiting beside. A hug was exchanged between Alex’s mother and Jason’s father before the five turned to board the ship. Normally, planes would be a more practical source of transportation, but the resort was so new that no airports had yet been established. After a glance of recognition, Alex and Jason greeted each other and boarded the boat, neither wishing to make the trip.

            Once seated, Alex and Jason began to converse slightly, although they were both half asleep. Jason had the same dismayed hair and half-closed eyes that Alex portrayed, making the two look like brothers. They shared the same dark shade of hair as well as a green eye color. Everything else, however, was completely different. Alex was long and lanky, his frame thin and his eyes drooped from sleep deprivation. A long side bang usually fell from the right side, covering half of his face. Jason, however, was a tad more toned and muscular. His eyes were darker and his jaw was squarer. All of him seemed proportionately larger than Alex, aside from height. His hair was shorter as well, and his bangs were fringed just above his eyes. People found it very strange how the two could look so similar and yet so different at the same time.

            They’re personalities, on the other hand, were what really set the two apart. Alex was a straight-A student and had just received a scholarship to Cornell, although he had only just become a junior in high school. Alex was also quite the neat freak. His clothes almost always matched and his room was surprisingly clean for a seventeen year old boy. Even his hair was usually well-kept. Needless to say, Alex’s sexuality was often question and his virginity was apparent. Although very interested in girls, Alex never had much luck with them. He would much rather be on his computer than socializing with the superficial dames he encountered in New York.

            Jason, on the other hand, was everything Alex wasn’t: a jock, a chick-magnet, a slob, and not to mention a bit of a dim-wit. He, unlike Alex, had much better luck with girls and often teased Alex for it. Alex had become apt at ignoring the jibes about his lack of girlfriends, particularly since he knew that, as far as scores go, Jason was really only one ahead of him.

            The hours passed quickly, the first three spent with both boys in a deep slumber. Alex woke first, staring out onto the open water as the boat slowly chugged by. It was a nice ferry, although Alex disliked all water vessels. Jason soon stirred, opening his bright eyes and meeting Alex’s through two sets of messy bangs.

            “What’s up?” Jason asked, grinning maniacally at Alex and revealing his single crooked tooth.

            “Not much,” Alex replied, taking out his laptop and opening up an internet browser. Jason ran his fingers through his already messy hair, and looked out the porthole. Alex began to Google the island.

            “Wow, are you seriously that bored?” Jason asked, smirking at the open browser.

            “Seriously,” Alex replied, not taking his eyes off the screen.

            To his surprise, there was next to nothing, as far as information went, about the island besides basic geography. There was no history, previous occupants or any other type of identification. His thin eyebrows furrowed, and Jason watched steadily as his cousin clicked through pages and his forehead became lined with confusion.

            “…Alex?” Jason asked questioningly. Though he lacked in intellectual power, Jason was extremely perceptive to other people’s emotions and thoughts. His understanding was one of the things that attracted girls to him.

            “I’ve been looking up information on the island we’re going to…I’ve got nothing. I’ve even hacked a little bit. No results except general stuff and the new vacation homes we’re going to.”

            “So is this weird?” Jason asked, leaning over with worry scrawled identically across his brow.

            “Yes. Almost every place that’s ever existed has an arsenal of information on it. This place…it has nothing.”

            “I see…I think Tracy said something about hooking us up. Probably an ex-stripper friend or something.”

            “Come on, Jason,” Alex said, trying unsuccessfully to defend the inept stepmother.

            “We both know she used to be a stripper.” He said, a bitter look on his face.

            “You don’t know that…”

            “Whatever,” Jason said, putting his feet on the seat next to Alex and pushing his flat brimmed hat over his face, effectively ending the conversation. Alex rolled his eyes and continued the search.

            The next two hours were over quickly, like running water through human fingers. The ship stopped and they were off onto land again, relieving Alex’s seasick stomach and Jason’s weak legs.

            The first thing Alex noticed was the breeze. It was clean, fresh, and blew through his lungs like new life; different from the city. The air seemed clearer, the colors brighter, and the lines more vivid.

            Jason noticed the earth first. It was red brown, moist, and had a specific smell to it that was pungent and clean. Since concrete was the main ground in the city, this was new and interesting to him.

            They were led to a large log cabin, decorated to be cute and woodsy. The deer’s head in the hall was an instant turn-off for both boys.

            Jason walked in first, his skate shoes echoing on the wood floor. Alex followed hesitantly, dropping his duffel bag on one of the two beds. The whole house smelled new and unfriendly, and Jason couldn’t help but feel that he was trespassing on someone else’s territory.