Commenced

Alex tugged at his torn jeans with a growing feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. They had taken his shirt and shoes, saying that it wasn’t the way. He didn’t argue, but felt completely out of place among the muscular men of the tribe. He had always thought that Jason looked pretty ripped, but the guys here made Jason look like a breath of wind.

It was their first day of training, and they were both standing in the arena and waiting for Thorn, the man who had agreed to train them to the dismay of everyone else. Alex understood that he wasn’t wanted. It didn’t affect him that much, as he was pretty used to being unwanted.

Jason, on the other hand, was less than pleased. He was used to being liked and appreciated, and it had taken a toll on him to be completely ignored by half the people there.

 Not that there weren’t people who were welcoming. A few of the villagers had gotten together and showed the boys how to build a simple hut, and they helped them erect what would be their permanent home from now on.

All the huts were one room, very simple with thatched roofs and dirt floors. The only furniture was a small fire pit, two stools that doubled as tables, and a bed of furs for sleeping on.

The boys admitted that the furs were more comfortable of a bed then their own in New York.

The air was humid and warm, and both were sweating by the time Thorn arrived.

He was an impressive man, built like a bull and muscles that could have made pro wrestlers run away crying. He wore a hardened leather chest piece and skirt-like garment that reminded Jason of a gladiator.

“Boys,” He nodded at them. They nodded back, unsure of what to do.

“First, the rules. You will do whatever I say whenever I say it. I am to be addressed as ‘Master’ or ‘Teacher.’ Respect me and those around you. Take only your share of the food in the village. And practice like your lives depend on it, because they do.”

His last three words hung in the air, causing the dread in Alex’s stomach to become fear.

“Let’s get started.”