Chapter 34: Worrying

Scarlett

Yesterday when we were having dinner, Mason body was tense. He said it was a lot of work and a threat from a gang, but nothing more.

He told me to sleep on his bed, that after he did some paperwork he would lay with me. I don't know if he did or not because, waking up, he's not here.

Picking up my phone I see it's 5am, and knowing that I won't go back to sleep, I decide to go drink water, but not before brushing my teeth and wash my face.

Climbing down the stairs I tie my hair in a messy bun, and entering the kitchen I take a cup filling it with water.

I hear some noises coming from downstairs, so I head there. I realise it's Mason, throwing punches at the black punching bag, red gloves on his fists. I lean on the doorway watching as hid tattooed arms, and his glistening back, flex every time he moves.

It's hot in here. His hair is falling more to his face since he's sweating, and I wonder how long he his here.

Since he's just with red shorts, I catch glimpses of his abs every time he throws a punch. When he takes his airpods out, breathing heavily, I stop my own breath for him not to notice me.

"I know you're there kitten. You're drooling." He smirks, drinking water and when he turns to me, winks. I feel heat crawl up to my cheeks but ignore it and roll my eyes.

"I am not. It's not that good of a sight really." I shrug leaning on the cold wall, trying to freshen up my body.

"That's why you're eyes are a dark shape of gray?" He smirks stepping closer to me. I decide against answering that, because he's probably right. But I change the theme.

"How long are you here?" He shrugs. "No idea. What time is it?"

"5:30 am." He looks shocked but frowns. "What are you doing awake kitten?"

"I couldn't sleep more." He takes a strand of my hair that had fallen from my bun, and plays with it. "Did you had a nightmare?"

I'm shocked by a second, the only time I had a nightmare that he saw was in Italy. I didn't think he would remember.

"No. I just... can't really sleep well without you." My eyes look down to my barefoot feet, knowing that what I said it's lame.

He chuckles and brings my chin up with his finger. "Actually I can't sleep a blink without you, so I think we're on the same page."

I smile nodding, looking at his deep brown eyes, that never fail to amaze me.

"Come on, I'm going to take a shower and then we sleep, sounds good?"

"Yep." He picks his bottle and t-shirt and grabs my hand, leading me upstairs.

I'm impressed about how his rough yet gentle hands fits so perfectly on my own, and can warm my whole body, making me feel relaxed.

Mason tells me to lay on bed that the shower will be quick. I wait for him, scrolling through my phone, only turning it off when Mason gets out of the bathroom with only gray sweatpants, and put it on his bedside table.

He lays under the sheets, dropping a arm below my head, so I lay on his bicep, while his hand caresses my shoulder and his other arm pushes the sheets up and drops on my waist after. My eyelids close as I'm left hearing his soothing heartbeat.

-----------------
I'm in Kenzie bedroom, she said that she wanted to talk to me in private.

-----------------I'm in Kenzie bedroom, she said that she wanted to talk to me in private

"What's wrong?" I ask her plopping down on her couch and she sighs. "Mason told Dion, and Dion told me about that guy who entered the house at night."

My body tenses. I don't want to get reminded of his words or how they made painful memories float back to me.

"I understand that you don't want to talk about and Mason said you were fine, and you probably talked to hin, because he's been through pain like you but..." She takes a breath after her little ramble. "...are you ok?"

I smile at her concern. "I am. Thank you for worrying."

"You're such a great person, you make it impossible for people not like you. I don't think anyone knows everything you've been through but I won't push it either. With time maybe you feel comfortable in telling." She smiles, a genuinely one, and I nod.

"Maybe some day."

"Hmm... Did Mason told you tomorrow it was Kathy birthday?" I frown shaking my head. He didn't mention nothing, maybe that's why he was on the gym last night.

"Oh. Well, just to let you know that it'll be a rough day. It's always the same since six years ago. He gets awfully drunk the night before, so he sleeps most of the day, or it's on the gym, or gets in a fight with someone in a bar. He doesn't talk, nor eat. He just glares at every single thing. "

I nod taking it in."Do you think there's something I can do?" She smiles sadly at me.

"He's so lucky to have you. I think he won't push you away. He likes you too much to do that, so just be there for him, comfort him or anything that you guys do. I haven't seen that man hug anyone." She snorts and I laugh remembering how terrified he was of a hug.

"I'll do my best." I smile reassuringly at her and she nods getting up. "Let's go, I'm starving."

I nod and we head to Sophia, to eat whatever delicious food she's cooking.

The rest of the day I spent running or in the gym, thinking if last night was influence from tomorrow, or whatever should I do for him.

I guess the best I can do, is be there for Mason, as he been there for me many times.