Chapter 22: Nightmares

Scarlett

"This is your temporary bedroom, unless you want to sleep with me." Mason wiggles his eyebrows, showing me a white and gray room, and I roll my eyes at him.

I wouldn't mind to be honest.

The bedroom is pretty nice. It's in light colors, has two armchairs, a TV, a fireplace and a queen sized bed in the middle.

I put my bags inside following Mason to his room, that it's next door.

His room is a whole different vibe. It's dark, with a red couch, a king sized bed on the middle, and on the corner a space with a TV and couch. In front of the bed has a fireplace and two doors on the right side. Probably to the bathroom and closet.

He throws his bag in the room, and we head downstairs.

We reach a kitchen, in gray colors. It's pretty big and fancy. The living room next door is more lighter than the kitchen, it has a fireplace with a TV above, two couches, two armchairs, and the view for the garden is amazing.

He continues to give me a tour of the house when we reach a terrace. Outside is a giant pool, bigger then back at America.

"This house is beautiful." I say to Mason leaning on the rails of the terrace outside. "Yep. We used to live here until I was nine, but then we moved out. We wanted a safe place when things were tough."

I nod at him. "I understand. Actually the house Xander lives is supposedly mine. I gave it to them."

"Why?"

"That was our second home you know? When the Russians blowed up the other, Xander lived in a small apartment. It didn't have space for one more person who would need to train everyday and all. And it is to big for me to leave alone. So I just gave it." I shrug looking at the sky getting darker.

"That's thoughtful of you."

"Mhm. I think it was a way to thank them for sticking with me."

"Why did you moved out, then?"

"It was just too much sometimes. Watching the three of them together, I know they love me like a daughter and sister, but I like my space and I felt like I was a burden. I don't know."

Mason sighs, wrapping his arms around me from behind. "You're not a burden to anyone. People do care about you."

"I know. But I wish that things were different. I felt like I belonged somewhere with my parents. I felt complete. I just feel empty and lonely now."

He didn't say anything, just turned me around and brushed the hair out off my face, leaning to kiss my forehead. By the way his arms were around me, I knew that he wanted to give me a hug, so wrapping my arms around his torso, he holds me, his chin on top of my head.

People don't always need to say something, sometimes just hold you it's better than words. It gives you the security that they're actually there.

-------
"There you go." I handle the plate with scrambled eggs and sausage to Mason, who's seating on the couch in the living room.

We decided that we were too tired to go out so I made a light dinner. We weren't mutch hungry either.

I seat on the couch next to his, stretching my legs. Mason has put on Fox, so we were watching NCIS: Los Angeles.

It's a pretty damn good show.

"Christ. This eggs are so good." He says, his mouth still of food so it seemed like he mumbled it.

"Thank you." I grin.

"I'm glad I gave vacation to all the maids. You're going to be the cooker for the week." He winks at me, and my stomach does a flip. Ignoring it, I snort at him. "You'll eat that same plate the rest of the week."

I do know how to cook. But I'm lazy for it.

Sue me.

"Fine by me." He shrugs taking a sip from his Coke and I shake my head turning my attention to the TV.

- - tw: violence ahead. - -

"Come on Scarlett, it won't hurt." Ezekiel grins at me twirling his knife on his fingers.

"Just let us out, please." I plead, my eyes watering. I took a beating a hour ago, everything hurts.

"Nah ah. You got to toughen up sweetheart. You said you would take everything for the younger Matteo. It's time." he laughs coldly and I don't stop the tears from falling when he drags the knife on my shoulder.

Reuning the little strength I have I spat. "You're a coward, always going through the back. That's what cowards do."

"Im done of your smartass comments." He growls and drawls the knife behind my ear, hard.

"Stop! Please!" I scream in agony but he doesn't stop. It hurts so much.

"Scarlett."

I just want my parents.

"Kitten."

I just want to get out off here.

"Scarlett!"

I jolt awake when I feel someone shake me.

Mason.

Looking around I see that I'm still on the couch,a blanket over me.

I must have fallen asleep.

"Kitten." Mason calls softly, kneeling beside me on the floor. I look at him, his deep brown eyes calming me instantly, making me feel safe. I offer him a small smile, telling him that I'm ok now.

He lifts me, bridal style heading upstairs. I don't complain, I'm still too off of everything.

I have nightmares of what happened in that basement sometimes, but since I am on the Matteo mansion they haven't showed up.

When he enters his bedroom I speak. "What are you doing?" My voice is almost inaudible, but I know he heard because he looks down at me. "I'm not leaving you alone. And you're bleeding on the side of your ear. You wouldn't stop rub it."

I only nod at him.

I always do that, it was on of the cuts that hurted more, and the scar would the most noticeable of them all if it wasn't in a hidden place.

He lays me gently on the bed, under the white sheets. I snuggle more under them, as he heads to the bathroom.

I'm half asleep when he comes back with the aid kit, rubbing some cream on my scar gently, after wiping the blood.

Mason puts the aid kit on the bedside table and lays under the sheets, facing me. "Can I hold you?" he whispers and I nod.

"Please."

With that he pushes me closer to his chest m the warm of it spreading through my body making me relax with butterflies on my stomach.

He wraps his arms around me, and I snuggle further putting my head on his chest, my own arms going around his torso.

My eyelids are heavy and my mind is already consuming itself on darkness when I feel Mason kissing my hair, whispering. "What are you doing to me?"

I ask myself the same. It's my last thought before black is all I can see.