10: Happiness is a myth

I found Manson in the big green area of the school. Students would sit or lay on the soft grass or available benches whenever the weather was inviting. The space was surrounded and filled by trees to offer us a fresh shadow during hot summer days. It was beautiful even when the trees were naked.

Manson's had a huge grin when he saw me and came running to me. He gave me a side hug and planted his usual kiss on my head making me forget about all that had just happened. We joined the others, to make the most of what was left of the sunny weather. Manson kept playing with my hair and I leaned in to rest my head on his shoulder. It was so comfortable that we could spend hours like this without saying a word, but today was different. I was soon going on a date with Manson and it would be the first time we were going to be alone.

"I don't mind telling him to back off. I'd be more than happy to. Anything for my princess," Manson offered after I ranted about what had happened with Nick.

"Maybe he's trying to get revenge for Rebeca," Chris, one of Manson's friends, guessed after overhearing us.

"Who's Rebeca?" I never had heard of her before.

"She's Nick's ex," Mason explained.

"Who cheated on Nick with Mason," Chris added. That took me aback.

"I didn't know you were one to go after girls who were taken?" I asked innocently, although I was really surprised by it. I've always thought of Manson as someone with values. Then again, you can't really choose with whom you fall in love.

"It was years ago. Back then we were all stupid kids; we didn't even know what dating really was. She moved cities soon after anyway, but I guess Belisario still holds a grudge".

I understand that it must have hurt his feelings a lot, especially his pride, but it was so long ago. They were what? Fourteen, fifteen at that time? How can someone be so resentful over some childish heartbreak that happened years ago? And she's the one who cheated, not Manson. 

I'm not saying that Manson acted right knowing she had a boyfriend, but he wasn't the one who owned Nick fidelity – she was. I guess it wasn't surprising, considering the way he has always acted. Just thinking about the way, he punched that jerk before, for some sort of quarrel they have, showed the anger Nick was capable of carrying.

I don't know what type of person Manson was back then, what I know is that, now, everyone liked him. He was a good person. During the past couple of weeks, I saw nothing but genuine good from him. I saw him help a new kid find his class or leave me to help younger kids who had been bullied.

My thoughts were broken by an eruption of laughs and whistles. They were directed at a girl passing by us. She was wearing a skirt and a shirt that hugged her figure in all the right places. Some of Manson's friends kept asking for her number and throwing lame pick-up lines at her. I wanted to gag.

"That's enough guys! Just let her be," Manson shut the group, showing me once again why I loved him. I couldn't help but smile. He wasn't afraid to stand up for others, no matter what. I admired that in him. I admired that he had values, that unlike many other guys our age he didn't disrespect girls like a dog in heat.

"Come on man, what's wrong? She's asking for it? Look at her, what are we supposed to do when we see a beauty like that pass by to provoke us?" Chris said.

"You're supposed to keep it in your pants and shut up. Have a little respect, you sound like perverts."

"Come on man let us have fun and get her number. I need a date for Friday's party."

"Have you looked at the mirror, Chris? There's no way she'd go for you." Someone else added and they all laughed. "She'll be mine before no time."

"You want to bet?"