3: To Die or not to Die...

I think it's important to have closure in any relationship that ends - from a romantic relationship to a friendship. You should always have a sense of clarity at the end and know why it began and why it ended. You need that in your life to move cleanly into your next phase. Maybe we'll have our closure now.

During class, I kept glancing at Nick and when the bell signaled the end of the last period our gazes met once again. I quickly looked away and packed my things to leave but I knew he would come after me. I could guess it from the determination in his eyes.

As I walked out, I saw Noah standing in the corridor. He asked his teacher permission to leave a few minutes early because 'he had to go to the doctor'. What his teacher hadn't known was that Noah lied so he could be with me for the inevitable confrontation, which made joy and gratitude fill my heart. 

Maybe he didn't have the courage to profess his feelings to the girl he loved, but to protect me, to protect his friends, he could face any adversity. Despite knowing this would probably not end well it felt good to know that I had at least one loyal friend.

We were walking side to side as quickly as possible to run from our destiny until we heard the same strong voice from the night before.

"We need to talk to you. Follow me," Nick ordered as he passes by us.

I shared a look with Noah and we silently agreed there's no escape and we might as well ended it.

We followed Nick to the back of the school where Micah was passing in circles and Tyler was sitting on a broken wooden bench smoking. They noticed our presence almost immediately. 

Micah seemed uncomfortable and quickly averted his gaze while Tyler looked at me up to the bottom, with a smirk on his face, as if he were evaluating me. I didn't like that.

"What do you want?" I cut to the point.

None of them answered.

"You brought us all the way here just to keep your mouth shut?" I asked turning to Nick who was staring at the patch of grass he was destroying with his foot.

Once again, I was met with silence. Not surprising, considering his overall posture: hands deep in the pockets of his dark jeans as if the whole situation had nothing to do with him and the only important thing was the stupid grass. 

Was this a game for them? Were they trying some sort of psychological abuse?

"You said we needed to talk and now nothing? You want to fight? Is that it? Fine by me, come on then!" I shouted, stepping closer to him.

That finally got me a reply, "I'm not fighting you." He remained impassive, not bothering to even spare me a glance.

I threw my hands in the air. "I give up! Come on Noah, the stalkers just wanted to waste our time."

I turned my back to them and make a few steps before I feel a hand on my arm pulling me. Instinctively, I grabbed the attached wrist and quickly used it to force my attacker to turn and kneel. 

On his knees, he looked up at me. His eyes were showing an odd mixture of unreadable emotions, maybe a bit of surprise or confusion? No, it was definitely anger, that he quickly covered with once again an impassive expression.

Oh shit! What have I done?

"Wow man, she got you good!" Tyler's voice erupted, followed by a deep laugh. "Who'd have thought the goody-good girl knew how to fight?"

"Guess you can't judge a book by its cover." I hissed, though I mentally scolded myself for my comment. I sure didn't need to add fuel to the fire. "And by the way Micah, I was expecting more from you, you know as a friend, or should I say as a former friend. It's like I don't even know you anymore. Let's go, Noah."