22: I'll Pretend I didn't see That

Tyler immediately replied to my text with a big "yes" followed by explicit comments about my bedroom. I really hoped he'd behave in front of my parents. Noah said he was already coming since his parents were invited. Of course, I should have expected it when mom said they invited friends over. Micah said he needed a ride and I promptly offered my services, and Nick was the last one to answer with a simple "Ok. What time?". I took a deep breath wishing my mom wouldn't be too pushy with him. I know by now he didn't react too well to that.

I couldn't sleep much that night. Not because of the nightmares but because of the apprehension of not knowing what would happen. My mind kept playing multiple scenarios, from the best to the worst.

I got up, took my breakfast, and went to shower. Once washed up I stood in front of my wardrobe, wrapped in my towel, pondering what to wear. I never had problems with that before. I would just throw the first thing I found and be done with it, but for some reason today I felt like putting a little bit of effort into it. I picked out a checked shirt dress and held it up in front of the full-length mirror, trying to figure out if it would fit me well.

No. The boys are definitely going to make fun of me if they see me in a dress, or skirt for all that matter.

When I put it back, I found a pair of faded jeans I rarely used. Unlike most of my jeans, these were skinny; it took me some effort to slide them up, but I was pleased with the result once I looked at my reflection. They fitted perfectly, hugging all the right places and curves I didn't know I had. I put on a white over-the-shoulder warm sweater and finishing my outfit with my white sneakers.

Around eleven I left the house to get Micah. Once I got to his house, I found his mother leaving in a hurry. "He should be getting ready my dear. I have to go now, bye." She said, kissing my cheek before leaving through the door. "Micah, I'm here!" I called as I ran up the stairs to his room like I usually did.

I barged into his room, jumped on his bed, and adjusted the pillows to wait for him comfortably. I could hear the water running from his private bathroom, so I started playing a new stupid yet addictive game on my phone to pass time.

I was finishing a level when I heard the door open. "Finally! What took you so–"

"Fuck! You scare the shit out of me. What are you doing here?!" an unexpected voice spoke.

I looked up to see Nick, standing in front of me, in all his glory, wearing nothing but a towel around his waist; low, very low, around his. I felt my face burn as I couldn't help but admire his perfectly sculpted body. I knew he was strong, but not once had I thought his clothes covered something like that. I also had been too preoccupied Friday to noticed it. His torso was perfectly chiseled, his bare shoulders were broad, and I couldn't help my eyes from moving down his six-pack and land on the v-line cut by the towel. I always admitted he was attractive, but right then, in front of me he was very, very attractive, and I couldn't help myself but imagine what was hiding under the towel.

Good God get a grip girl! Stop being so pervy.

My eyes shifted up to his face, embarrassed of my thoughts, trying to avoid any further perverted contemplation. And what a mistake that was. I quickly realized that looking at his face was not going to cut it either as I saw his wet hair loosely frame his face. Man, he was hot, there I said it.

"What are you doing here?" he said with a strange intonation, folding his arms as if to protect his body from my perverted stare.

Wait, is he embarrassed?

"I should be the one asking you that," I diverted. "Why were you taking a shower in Micah's bathroom?" Then I started connecting the dots, once again my brain worked its magic and realized what was going on. "Oh my God! Are you guys... wait... but it does make sense. Are you guys in some sort of intimate relationship?" I asked nervously.

"What?! N–"

"And here was I... I am so, so sorry, I shouldn't have barged in. Oh God, what if I had walked on... Never mind. I'm sorry, I'll leave now. You can give Micah a ride to my house, right?" I kept rambling.

I jumped up to leave the room, my cheeks burning as if they were on fire. The possibility of walking on them in a compromising situation... or position! Oh my, oh my. I bolted to the door, as I went to open it Nick blocked it with his arm. I looked at his beautiful eyes – scratch that – and understood what he needed. I placed my hand on his arm and gently pulled it down to free the door. I met his eyes once again with all the kindness I had in me.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." I smiled, opened the door, and left. Or should I say: ran to my car and drove off as fast as I could. My best friend was gay.

It made sense why he had never had a girlfriend before even though a lot of girls liked him. My best friend was gay, and he didn't tell me. That's okay, it's not always easy to come out. And why should he? It's like I walk around telling people I'm hetero either. My best friend was gay and was, for all I know, in a relationship with a guy I, casually, eye-raped moments ago. This Sunday barbeque was going to be promising. How on earth I would pretend I didn't see what I saw? Did I really wanted to forget that beautiful image? Those muscles, those packs, that face. Those eyes. I bit my lip at that last thought.

You're so bad Julie! I scolded myself. That was wrong, one should not drool over her best friend's boyfriend. And yet...

I got home to find Noah already there, he asked where Micha was and I told him Nick was giving him a ride, almost blushing at the idea of them together. I never got that vibe from either of them, and Nick had a girlfriend before. Maybe that's why she left him for Manson, maybe he was already gay back then but didn't know it. Or maybe he's bi.

"Tyler's here," Noah broke me from my thoughts and we both walked up to Tyler.

My mother spotted the new face and immediately joined us. "Tyler, this is my mom, Catherine. Mom, this is Tyler."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Delgado," Tyler greeted her, offering his hand. My mother shook it with a giggly smile on her face.

"Oh please, call me Catherine. We're on a first-name basis with Julie's friends. I'm really glad to see she's making more friends. Don't get me wrong Noah, I love you like you were my son, but I was a little bit worried about my baby's social skills."

"Mom!" Great way to start, I could already imagine the rest of the day with Tyler making fun of me.

"You don't have to worry! She's great with people," Tyler assured full of sarcasm that only Noah and I picked up on.

A few minutes later Nick and Micah arrived. Micah tried to talk to me, but I shrugged it off. I didn't want him to feel pressured to explain anything or talk to me about something he wasn't ready for. After the first introductions and a thousand questions, to make sure my friends were good and trustworthy, and embarrassing stories about me, my parents left us to talk to their own friends. We joked around, Tyler, of course, making fun of my 'social skills', ate, and went in to play some video games.

That is until Noah decided it was a good idea to show my room to Tyler, who of course laughed like a hyena when he saw the color of the walls and the plushies on my bed. When he calmed down, he started asking where I stored my bras and lingerie and I kicked them out of the room, blushing like a tomato.

In the end, the Sunday barbeque was a blast and I found myself smiling as I cleaned the dishes. Happy to have the friends I have, glad that they came.