45: S.O.S

It's been two weeks since the last note and I don't know whether I should feel relief or scared. Maybe it was just a prank and whoever was behind got bored, or maybe they were just getting ready for something worse. Maybe I should just tell my parents and go to the police.

That would be the smart thing to do.

But it has been two weeks, if it was serious it would have escalated by now, that's what happens in every criminal case of the sorts they show on tv. It has to be a prank.

I am supposed to meet everyone at Micah's. Noah is already there but I have some time and decided to make a detour. I stop at the ice cream shop and buy one vanilla and chocolate cone to go.

As I get out of the shop, I bump into someone and cuss as I almost drop my ice cream, but I managed to recover my balance and avoid a disaster. I swiftly turn to apologize to the person. A cute guy shakes his head at me with a warm smile.

"No, it was my fault. I was completely distracted," he said, and we left it at that.

I think Ava would have liked him; he was totally her style. I stop and turn back to glance at him. He reminded me of someone. You know that feeling when you're almost sure you've met someone before but can't really put a finger on it?

A grin spreads to my face as I realize he kind of looks like Tyler. He's definitely Ava's style. I chuckle and my cheeks warmed as I remembered them cuddling in bed and walk back to my car.

With my craving for cold sweetness satisfied I drive to Micah's. His mother let me in, and I found the group in the game room.

"You're late," Noah stated when I greeted them.

"A queen is never late everyone else is simply early." I drop myself in a bean bag, grinning at them.

But my smile disappears when I notice Nick's eyes staring at me with a mischievous glint. "She's been eating ice cream and didn't even invite us."

Son of a bitch, how did he know?

I frown at him. My lips parted as he smirked at me, tapping the corner of his beautiful mouth of his with his finger. I swiftly rub my mouth to clean up whatever signs of my crime remained. It was too late.

"Wait, what? You went without us?! You know I never miss a chance to eat ice cream," Tyler said affronted as if he loved ice cream that much. I snorted, not buying his drama queen façade. "Especially since they hired that new girl. Damm, she's cute."

I laughed. That sounded more like him. "Well, for all is worth she wasn't there."

I sat on the floor next to Nick's legs, pinching them as payment for snitching me out. He simply chuckled tugging my hair softly from behind. Micah started the movie and turned off the lights. A shiver passed through my body as a thread of my hair twisted in the back of my head. Nick was still holding a strand of my hair in his fingers, playing with it as we watched the scenes unfolding on the TV.

A smile crept on my face, but I didn't let the warmth I felt cloud my mind. There was no point in overthinking it. Better just enjoy it while it lasts. So, I let my head rest against his knee, relishing at the moment.

**********************

It was mid-afternoon when my phone rang. It was my mother telling me she had to stay late at work. My father was out in the city, meeting some friends and I didn't feel like being home alone, so I texted my friends to join me there. Another Friday night watching movies and playing games.

Noah got to my place before all of the others replied. The night had already fallen upon us when they arrived. Our diner consisted of frozen pizzas and chips, as usual, but when I opened the freezer to get the dessert, I realized we were out of ice cream.