PETER PARKER

Okay - Peter Parker x male reader

Genre: Fluff and Angst
Requested: could u maybe do fake dating + Peter Parker for the Male! reader trope prompt please? Tysm, I also hope you feel better soon dude
Warnings: anxiety, overthinking/spiraling thoughts, lying, self-destructive beaviour (I think)
Words: 2.3k

Peter's messages came in at three in the morning, at a time, where you were trying to sleep, forcing yourself to not check your phone and thus getting distracted, ending up sleeping even less. So, you saw them three hours later when you were checking your notifications on your way to the bathroom. However, your phone almost did not survive this short walk because you almost dropped it upon seeing what 'Peter from chemistry' had texted you. 'I need you to be my boyfriend for a day'.

Very straight forward, but okay. With a frown on your forehead you skimmed over the rest of the messages – most of them being 'please please please' and explanations with neither sense nor context. Thinking and hoping this was a joke, you hit send with the single letter 'K'.
Peter's activity status immediately changed to online and a second later, a 'You're a gift, Y/N, Thank you so much!' popped up. 'I'll see you in an hour then'. You dropped your phone at that one.

As he had promised, Peter showed up not too long after and before you knew it, you sat next to Peter on a bus.

"So, it's a party at the Avengers' headquarters," you repeated for the twentieth time, very, very slowly. "And you told them you had a boyfriend but that was a lie. Why don't you just say that your imaginary boyfriend couldn't make it?" Peter blushed a little at that.
"That's the excuse I used the last couple of times, but they were getting suspicious," he admitted meekly. "And you are the only guy who talks to me and knows that I'm Spider-Man. I would've asked Ned, but he's not available today." Peter and you were not exactly best friends, so his messages and especially them being serious had surprised you. You knew each other from school, sat next to each other in chemistry, and after you had caught him working on web fluid in class, he had confessed to being Spider-Man.

Though, you had to admit that sitting next to Peter in chemistry had not been a coincidence.

Peter pulled you back into reality. "It's Mister Thor's birthday and we don't have to stay for long. Just tell them that you're my boyfriend and please do it convincingly." Upon seeing your not at all convinced look, he added, "no kissing required."
"Jesus what did I get myself into," you groaned and leaned your head back against the seat.
"It's only for a few hours, I promise!" Peter sounded like he needed to stop you from jumping out of the bus's window right then and there. "On the plus side, there will be free food for you!"

For the rest of your ride to the Avengers' headquarters you tried to convince yourself that the only good thing about this trip would be meeting the Avengers and the free food – that it was not, absolutely not having Peter around you, maybe holding hands, maybe some casual touches, having your arm around his waist, giving him a small kiss on the cheek and maybe even- no! It was all fake and getting into it too much, giving into the feelings you had had for Peter for so long, would just lead to your heart being broken. And that was the last thing you wanted right now. So you crossed your arms in front of your chest and avoided eye contact with Peter as good as possible.

"That's it." Peter said as he led you towards a huge building. You had seen it on television before, on the news or on shows that imitated the lives of the superheroes there, but this was different. The shows made you feel like a part of the Avengers, like something familiar, something you knew. But now you felt small, unimportant, thrown into a world that was not yours. You felt your chest tighten more and more as you approached the building.