BUCKY BARNES

Title: Make a wish
Summary: The best decision Bucky has ever made was to escape his own birthday party

The soft wind hit Bucky's face as he stepped outside onto the roof of the Avengers tower. It took a few seconds until his eyes had adjusted to the sudden darkness, without the colourful flashing lights at the party. He smiled shortly at the fact that he was currently trying to avoid his own birthday party. But when he thought about it, it wasn't even his fault. He hadn't asked Tony to throw a party for him. He hadn't asked any of the many guests, half of which he didn't even know, to celebrate his birthday. If someone had asked him, he would have either chosen to not celebrate at all, or to only spend it with a few close friends like Steve, Sam, and you.

With a sigh, Bucky leaned over the railing at the edge of the roof and stared down at the city. The cars looked so small from the top of the tower, like hyperrealistic miniatures. Always moving, never asleep. Their sounds reached him, even though they were faint, like the music coming from the inside of the tower, an undefinable rhythm without a tune.

Bucky closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. The air smelled like the spring that was coming, but also like the cold of the night. Looking up at the night sky, Bucky saw some grey shades on the deep blue, that he identified as some clouds covering the stars, but due to the wind, they would be gone soon.

It didn't take too long. As the sky cleared and revealed a few stars, Bucky heard steps behind him.

"What are you doing?" Bucky didn't turn around and kept his eyes on the stars instead, trying to find one of the constellations that his mother had shown to him when he was a child.
"Escaping my own party," he answered and finally turned around to you, "and what about you?"

You shrugged.
"Doing the same." You stepped next to him and looked up into the sky as well. "I was looking for you," you admitted just a few seconds later with a nervous chuckle. A smile made its way to Bucky's lips and warmed his heart.

There was a comfortable silence between you, all Bucky could hear were the faint music from the party and the cars that were so far away. He looked over to you from time to time, but you didn't seem to notice. You just kept staring into the night. That gave Bucky time to admire you. The glowing in your eyes from both the excitement over the stars you were seeing, and the stars themselves, that he could see in your eyes. He moved a little closer, just a little, hoping you wouldn't notice. Or that you would notice and maybe move closer to him as well, but that was a scary thought as well, that let his heart pound faster.

"Back in my day, there were more stars," Bucky pointed out casually. You only hummed. Letting his head sink at his failed attempt to start a conversation with you, he started playing with the hem of his shirt.

"Light pollution," you said minutes later. Now it was Bucky's turn to hum.
"I miss the stars," Bucky chuckled at the memory that came up in his head. "Me and Stevie sometimes went out and laid in the fields for hours, waiting for shooting stars." You laughed quietly and turned your face at Bucky.

"Do you miss the old times?" You questioned.
"Sometimes. But a lot of things are better now." He sighed.
"You're so old now," you chuckled, and Bucky joined in.

Bucky was about to say something, when you grabbed his hand.
"Bucky, did you see that?" You laughed and pointed into the sky. Your finger followed the line of a shooting star that had also caught Bucky's attention. The excitement in your eyes was shining brighter now, and you smiled so beautifully, that it warmed Bucky's heart.
"Did you see the shooting star?"
"Yeah, I did!" Bucky tore his eyes away from the sky and he looked down at your hand that was still on his. You followed his gaze and wanted to pull away, but Bucky squeezed your hand to tell you not to.

"It was beautiful!" Bucky said. You nodded.
"Make a wish, birthday boy." Hand still on yours, Bucky stepped closer to you, making a thoughtful face. Then his eyes locked with yours.
"Stay with me forever."

You frowned.
"That doesn't count."
Bucky frowned. "Why not?"

You pulled your hand away and shook your head.

Just when Bucky thought you were rejecting him, you cupped his cheek with the hand that had been lying in his just a few seconds ago. Leaning forward, you kissed him lightly. After pulling away, you smiled again.
"Shooting stars are for wishes that cannot come true," you told him, "but your wish isn't impossible."