STEVE ROGERS

Title: Disappointed - Steve Rogers + son!reader

Genre: Angst?
Requested (by anon):
Hey, can I request a steve rogers and son! reader: "shouldn't you be asleep?" drabble where reader is in high school and it's exams or something very important, he's stressing so dad steve makes him go to bed??
Warnings:
exams? anxiety

Sometimes, you had the feeling that your dad didn't really understand you. Steven Grant Rogers, America's hero, had grown up in the forties, a time where school had been – different, to say the least.

He had never finished high school, which hadn't been all too bad back, then but in the time, you were growing up? Not finishing school or dropping out of it was a nightmare.

Though it wasn't only about your dad dropping out of school. He was often busy, Avengers stuff like saving the world, so he barely had time to help you study, like many of your friends' parents did with them. You often sat alone in your room at night, bent over a book with words and sentences that didn't make sense to you, numbers that seemed to be out of another dimension.

Today was another one of those nights and the subject was maths. Spread on your desk in front of you were hundreds and hundreds of notes you had taken in class, work sheets, and books you had borrowed from your school's library. Even though you had been studying for hours, your head felt empty, yet heavy like a rock. Thoughts were rushing through your mind, blurry, too far away for you to hold onto them for more than a second.

You had fallen asleep several times during your studying session, which wasn't a surprise because it was already two in the morning. The heaviness of sleep returned like a wave and washed over you, but a soft knock on your door pulled you back into reality.

"Can I come in?" your dad's voice was just as soft as the knock.
"Y-yeah," you stuttered, sitting up a little straighter as the door opened.
"Hey." There was a deep frown on your dad's face. "Shouldn't you be asleep?" You tried to wipe the tired look out of your eyes but failed.

"Maybe?" you offered, which earned you a disapproving look. The frown on your father's forehead deepened even more.

"Okay," you finally gave in, closing your maths book in one fluid motion. "I'm studying."
Steve stepped further into your room, until he was able to read your notes.

"Do you have a math exam coming up?"
"Tomorrow."
Steve sighed, but it wasn't disapproving nor tired. It was understanding.

"Come here," he said while sitting down on your bed, patting on a free spot next to him.
"You should get some sleep before your exam." One of his hands landed on your shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You'll rock this tomorrow, and even if it goes wrong, please remember that I love you, Y/N. No matter what."

"So, you wouldn't be disappointed?" you questioned.
"No. You could never disappoint me. I can see that you're trying." The softest smile you had ever seen appeared on your dad's lips and you leaned into a hug.

"Thanks, dad."
He chuckled. "I'm only disappointed that you didn't go to bed yet." It took you less than three seconds to slip underneath your blanket.

"That's better." After a moment, Steve added, "You can do this tomorrow. Okay?"

"Okay. I'll rock this tomorrow."