PETER PARKER

Title: Change - Peter Parker x male reader

Genre: angst with a hint of fluff
Requested:
i know i'm basic, but can we go for some Peter Parker fluff?
Warnings:
implied anxiety? not sure, mentions of death
Words:
1,044

The train station was packed, you could already see that from the window of the train. People were all over the place, melting into one big colourful mass in front of your eyes. With one big step you dived into the scramble, suitcase close behind you. Senseless, and deaf to all that happened around you, you floated through this sea. People bumped into you, some of them turned around, mouths open, mute to you, like fish. The stream pushed you further to your destination. The safe haven, also known as 'On the left side of the entrance' – that's what Peter had told you.

And yes, when you stood on your tippy toes, rose above the sea level, you were able to spot a brown tuft of hair. Curls, to be exact. Curls, that definitely belonged to Peter. When the waves parted for just a moment, you could fully see him. Driven by a sudden burst of energy, you stormed towards him.

"Peter!" From the distance, you saw his face light up. He started walking into your direction, met you halfway. You let yourself fall into his open arms.
"Y/N." Peter's lips met your cheek. "I missed you so damn much." You closed your eyes to savour the moment completely. It felt like what you had expected it to be; you felt safe. The cold of the sea, that had been clinging deep beneath your skin, vanished.
"Missed you too. It's been a while." Peter pulled away and nodded silently. He interlaced his fingers with yours, while Happy, who had been standing around behind Peter, a little out of place, took care of your suitcase and led you to the car.

"How was your trip here?" You shrugged at Peter's question. "The same as always, I guess. Just more people reuniting after what happened the past years." "I see." The rest of the car ride was silent. An unusual thing between you two.

To you, it felt like something had changed. To you, it was obvious.

Sometimes, it is hard to find the difference between something that strengthens a relationship and something that tears lovers apart. These events can be anything, really. From something normal like a fight to catastrophes. It is not easy to know what the aftermath of such an event could be. Hell, you can't know that, ever. Because it takes time to find out. It always does. But it changes people, no matter how big or small.

Since Peter and you had started dating, only events like the latter had occurred. The blip (as someone who had been "blipped", you thought the term was a huge understatement), the Avengers bringing everyone back, fighting Thanos, Tony Stark's sacrifice. Even though you hadn't seen Peter since all that had happened, you still felt that change. There had been a change inside of Peter, as well as inside of you. Between the two of you. It sat in the middle of the backseat of Happy's car, unmovable like a wall of steel. You hadn't tried to tear it down yet, not knowing if that action would even strengthen it. So, you stayed silent as well.

***

You dumped your bag into a corner of Peter's room. "I feel like I could sleep for a whole month after that train ride," you announced, loudly, drawing your boyfriend's attention to you.
"Oh, I hope you don't."
"Why not?"
Peter shot you a grin. "Because you have to spend time with me, silly!"
"And?" you crossed your arms, raised an eyebrow. "what do you have planned?" A shrug from Peter's side.
"I was thinking about dinner with aunt May and movies in bed?" You dropped your pretended seriousness and smiled.
"Sounds good to me."

Dinners with the two Parkers were always fun, and at the end of the day you let yourself fall into Peter's bed, full and satisfied with a content smile. For the past hours, that wall you had thought to be there had been gone, but you knew that it wasn't over yet. Trying to maintain that temporary feeling of happiness, you sat up.
"Are we gonna watch a movie now?" you asked into Peter's direction, but your face dropped when you looked at him. "Peter?" He stood there, in the doorframe, frozen. You weren't able to see his face, but you were pretty sure that he was close to crying.

With a few fast steps, you crossed the room and pulled him into a tight embrace. "Come on, lay down," you said, while carefully pulling him over to his bed, where you laid him down and tucked him in.

For a few minutes, you only laid there, listening to his breathing. You wiped an occasional tear from his cheek with your thumb, let Peter cry.
"Peter," you started, "What's up?" Nothing for a few more minutes.

Then, a reply, "I've changed." A sob. "And I think you know that, too. And I'm scared of what this is doing with me, doing with us, Y/N."
"Oh Peter-" you sighed, at a loss of words for a moment. Wasn't this the conversation you wanted to have? To find out what was going on? But right now, all the words in your head seemed to spin around, round and round and round.

"I-" you bit your lip and looked through the room, for some kind of answer. "We've changed. Both of us. So much has happened." Peter shifted a little closer to you, a silent comfort, encouraging you to continue. "Things are changing between us, but- but I don't think it's a bad kind of change, you know?"

Peter frowned, so you continued, "Things are always changing, always in motion. And if it stopped – like if someone's heart stops beating – it's over. So, I think we should never stop changing, never stop moving. Because that's what's keeping us alive, that's what's keeping us together."

You didn't get a reply. Not with words, at least. Only a light kiss to your lips, that you wanted to last forever.

"Do you think we're moving into the same direction?"
You nodded slowly. "We are, Peter."

He kissed you another time, longer, but not less soft.

"Thank you." With his forehead pressed against yours, he smiled. "Thank you so much."