BUCKY BARNES

Title: Selfish

Genre: Angst

Rating: Teen

Summary: There's one thing that Bucky did not want you to know about him, but you find out by yourself

Warnings: anxiety/signs of a panic attack; mentions of murder; slight mentions of injuries; kinda not very healthy relationship in the end idk I'm gonna put this here just in case

Words: 1.7k

Coming home. It was a feeling that Bucky had not thought he would experience ever again. He had known it, before the war, before everything – with his friend Steve. However, back then he had not really savoured this feeling. He had not held onto it for a while, let the warmth wash over him on his way back home from work, had not let it grow from his heart and through his body with every single step he took.

But now, that was exactly what he did. It was a warm and fuzzy feeling in his chest, growing as he approached his home. He knew that you would be waiting for him, with amazing food that had been cooked with love and care. Waiting for him with a big smile, a hug, and a kiss on his cheek. Bucky could not help but let this feeling take over him completely. It numbed his senses – in a good way. Slowed down his thoughts, washed negativity away.

Coming home was one of the feelings you had taught him during your time together. It was just one amongst many more that were both positive and negative. He had learned love, trust, safety and comfort, as well as pain, sorrow, hurt and sadness. He was thankful for every single one of those, but coming home was the best, as it united the positive ones.

It was one of the best things about being with you. He had learned not only to love and to enjoy things, but he had learned to live. Being with you was easy. There were not many fights, and if there were, they resolved quickly. Good communication was the key, Bucky has learned. That part was hard for him sometimes as he still kept things from you and he knew that he could not run from the truth forever.

However, right now he was focused on something else. Bucky's feet carried him to the door as he looked for his keys in the pocket of his jeans. His eyes fell on the white paint that was peeling off the old wood that the door was made of, he would have to repaint it during his day off on the weekend, since was too dark for that now, as the sun was setting already.

With his finger he brushed his key and finally unlocked the door.

It did not smell like food like Bucky had expected. Maybe you were not in the mood to cook and you would either have some food delivered or you wanted Bucky to cook. A smile formed on his lips when he thought about last time - he was a horrible cook, to say the least. He knew how to fight with a knife but cutting vegetables without unintentionally hurting himself or cutting right through the plate was not one of his many skills. Last time, that had ended in a lot of laughter before you both decided to order pizza.
Or maybe you had taken someone else's shift at work and were not even home yet? Bucky checked his phone but his background, a picture of him and you, was not covered by any notifications – you would have texted him if you were not home yet.

He hung his jacket and strolled toward the kitchen, but once he had entered, he almost dropped his phone and keys.

"Y/N?" You were sat at the dining table, eyes red and puffy. It looked as though you had been waiting for him. The table was covered in paper, both printed text and notes, though Bucky did not take the time to pay too much attention to that. He was focused on you and your eyes that stared back at him with so much pain.
"Welcome home, James." A shiver crept up and down his spine. What was that in your voice? Disgust? Fear? Bucky was afraid of what might have caused that.
His eyes searched for an explanation in your face, some kind of clue, but you only stared back at him with watery eyes. In his chest, Bucky's heart started pounding faster. "What happened?"