BUCKY BARNES

Title: Two things

Genre: Fluff
Summary:
On undercover missions, hiding from the bad guys can be tough but luckily, Bucky knows what to do
Warnings:
mentions of violence and guns, maybe some anxiety?
Words:
1.1k

"Sam, are you in position?" Bucky adjusted his beanie that he had chosen as the 'perfect disguise' for an undercover mission. He looked like a modern man, cool, stylish, and totally not like he was about to chase after some bad guys.
"I've been in position for the past ten minutes, Y/N and you are just hella slow," Sam complained over the comm. Bucky only rolled his eyes at that while you chuckled.
"Sam, you know that our Bucky here is an old man. Don't be so hard on him." Your partner for the mission sighed. "Thanks for the back-up Y/N, I hope that during out mission you won't stab me in the back."
"Anytime, Barnes!"

The banter between the three of you was a way of relaxing a little before a hard undercover mission like this. So just like Bucky, Sam and you tried fitting in with the people around you at the mall – civilian's clothes, only a few guns and knives hidden, almost no gear.
Your mission was to stop some trade of illegal weapons. That would have been easier, if that trade was not at a public place with thousands of civilians who needed to be protected as well, so you needed to be very discreet, operate fast. Stop the trade, maybe beat them up a little if necessary, then get them into the van as fast as possible to get them away from everyone.

While Bucky and you were supposed to walk around the mall on the hunt for the buyer and the two sellers, Sam sat in the van between countless displays showing him every single corner of the mall. And if you needed him to, he would step in.

"If you keep standing there staring around like that, it'll make you look even more suspicious," Sam's voice rang in your ear. With another eyeroll, Bucky started walking and you followed him.

You passed many shops, all with people going in and coming out of them. You scanned everyone's faces, the features of your three subjects burned into your mind, memorized closely so even if they were to wear a disguise, you would recognize them, but there was no match just yet.

As you were walking, Sam kept babbling into your and Bucky's ears. He went on about everything: a woman he saw with a strange hat, some teens shoplifting, an old man who tripped on a staircase (whom he then compared to Bucky) – but none of them were your suspects.

At some point, when you stood in front of a bakery with a snack after hours of walking up and down, Bucky turned his comm off.
"Y/N, what is he doin-" was all you heard from Sam before Bucky reached behind your ear and turned off yours as well. However, you did not stop him. Sam's voice died out and you let it happen.
"What are you doing, Bucky?" "Two things, Y/N." He took a deep breath. "I think they hijacked our comms. They know that we're here." You frowned, and as you thought about Bucky's words, it all made sense. "That's why we haven't been seeing them," you whispered, scared that if you would speak up, your voice would break. "They're waiting for us to think that we're at the wrong location and leave." He nodded. "Shit." You took a deep breath to collect yourself; your heart was beating incredibly fast and you felt your whole body tense up. One of Bucky's hands landed on your shoulder with a strong yet comforting grip. His eyes met yours and he gave you a reassuring smile.
"Come on, we can do this." And with that, he turned his comm back on and started walking again.

"Wait, Bucky! What is the other thing you meant to tell me?" – "Later!"

You turned your own comm back on and listened to Bucky say, "Do you know if it is raining?" – A secret code for when you knew that someone else was listening. Sam seemed to understand immediately. "Nah, not yet. But the forecast didn't look good this morning. We're gonna leave before it starts raining?" – "Yeah. There's no point in staying." Bucky winked at you and you could not help but smile at that. You turned off your comms.
"Now we wait, but I'm sure they're going to come out soon."

You approached an escalator that led to a lower level. People with enormous bags queued in front of it, waiting to continue their shopping. When you finally stood on one of the stairs, you turned to Bucky.
"And?"
He did not look at you but scanned the people again.
"What did you mean to tell-" You saw Bucky clench his jaw. Upon turning around to face the same direction, you spotted some of the men you had seen in the files for this mission, still at the bottom of the escalator that went up, into the opposite direction, but coming toward you quickly. In a heartbeat, you turned to Bucky. "They're gonna see us."

Bucky's reply was not what you would have expected in a situation like this and your jaw dropped. "Kiss me." – "What?!" – "Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable."
You scoffed. "Where did you get that fro-" You were cut off by Bucky's lips meeting yours. A noise of surprise (you told yourself that it was surprise rather than excitement or even happiness) left you, but in the next moment you decided to be a professional Avenger and rolled with it. Your lips were grazing against each other like you had done this a million times, it felt so familiar yet new... You needed more of it. Pulling Bucky closer by his shoulders, you deepened the kiss a little, making you forget everything around you, even the bad guys coming toward you. And in this moment, you realized that you were not playing a character anymore. You were not two friends casually shopping, no. You were Y/N and Bucky, in love and on a mission. And that was what Bucky meant to tell you. Your grip on Bucky's jacket tightened and he let out a content sigh, before-

"There they are!" Bucky and you pulled away immediately. Your brain was still dazed from the kiss, everything in you screamed to just kiss Bucky again. You shook out of it and got back to your senses. Pretty much all people on the escalator were staring at you, including the two men you had wanted to fool, one of them pointing at you, enraged.
"Looks like your plan did not work out," you commented.
"Well," Bucky sighed, "I forgot that people tend to stare at two men kissing and being in love." He shrugged. "I think we should run now." And with that, he took your hand, interlaced his fingers with yours, before you both started running.