The Sapotis

Y'all ready for this? Da na na DA DA dA nuhnuhnuhnuh DA DA dA nuhnuhnUHNUH

sorry, don't know why I felt like doing hat, but I did and I don't wanna delete it. Anyway, hope y'all enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes, Madame Cesaire. The girls are ready for bed... technically speaking," Mari speaks into her phone. Alya invited us for a girls' night while she's babysitting her sisters. The tiny demons are running around, laughing loudly while Alya chases them. Kids are cute, sure, but it nearly 9 PM and I wanna sleep tonight.

Alya corners her twin sisters and carries them off to bed. They said something like, "It's not us, its the sapoteez!" or something. No idea what the hell they're talking about but I've just about had enough with loud laughter.

"Okay you tiny monsters," I grab them right after they wiggle free from Alya's grasp, "Time for bed."

"No!" They try to squirm away but my grip is too tight. I walk them to their room and place each on their respective bed.

"You little Sapotis need to go to sleep so you're fighting fit for tomorrow," Alya pipes from the doorway.

"No fair," the one in blue PJs complains, "We wanna stay up like you!"

I roll my eyes. "You two really wanna stay up for a boring big-kid sleepover," I ask, "Or, do you wanna get lots of sleep so you can have fun at the super cool awesome amusement park tomorrow?"

"Amusement park!" They both shout. These kids are ridiculous.

Alya tucks them in then turns out the light. Bidding them goodnight, Alya and I return to Mari who's placing a tray of orange juice on the coffee table.

"You really have a solid technique with your sisters," Mari compliments.

"What's the Soprano thing they were talking about?" I ask.

Alya laughs a little before going to the fridge and taking out some canteloupe. "The Sapotis is from an old Creole fable. They play pranks and cause mischief," she explains.

I grab a bowl of berries and join Mari at the counter, "So their impersonating Loki? Lovely."

My comment is ignored and Alya pulls out her phone. "Now that we're alone, I can finally tell you guys," she turns her phone around to show the Ladybug figure on ancient Egyptian papyrus, "Ladybug has been around since the Pharaohs." Yes, I learned that first hand a few months ago by nearly being a rebound wife for the sun god. "But there is no way the Ladybug we know is 5000 years old."

Mari and I share a look. Where could this be going?

"I downloaded this app that analyzes her voice from recordings I had of her talking," she shows us her screen where there are two bars of voice analysis. Alya is dedicated, I'll give her that. "Based on the frequencies of her voice, she turns out to be a girl our age!" Oh shit.

Mari freezes. Oh boy... I notice the pitcher of orange juice on the table is empty. "Um, Alya," I point to the coffee table, "The orange juice disappeared."

Alya puts the girls to bed again. They plead 'The Sapotis' then tuck themselves in again.

Alya opens her mouth to speak but I cut her off, "Okay, what movie were you guys thinking?" I pull up Netflix and scroll through the action section, "I'm thinking we should start a Marvel Marathon."

As I'm scrolling a Ladybug anime pops up. "Oh yeah! Ladybug!" Dammit.

"So she's, like, a high school girl," she pulls out her phone again, "So, to figure out who she is, we need to find a girl our age, who's always late-"