Reflekta

Photos add ten pounds, didn't you know?

I look in the mirror to see my body dressed in my usual jeans, buffalo plaid flannel and checkered vans. I look normal. I feel normal. Yet I hate photos. The part in my hair looks off when I see it as others do. My smile is naturally crooked but it's the wrong way in photos. Ugh, I just hate having my photo taken.

On top of my physical insecurities, I am below average height. At 5'5" I am always in the front row. It sucks, I've never been standing. It makes me feel smaller than I already am. Ugh! Damn picture day.

Grumpy as hell, I walk down the four flights of stairs in my building, grab my morning coffee and head out. I asked Kris to add two shots of espresso today because the Lord knows I'm gonna need it.

With each sip, I slowly wake up; my spine straightening with every swallow. Weed is my happy gummy, coffee is my wakey juice.

Fuck, I need help.

"Y/N!" A cheery voice sings from behind me. I turn around eagerly to see Mari looking hella good. Instead of her usual and pink jeans and flats, she's wearing small black booties, and tight, camo cargo pants; her jacket and white shirt were the same just missing the flowery designs. Holy Shit! She looked good.

"Mari!" I match her cheery tone. I tilt my head and give her a funny look, "I think you forgot something."

Her eyes go wild. She starts giving herself a pat-down and mumbling a list, "Phone, purse, backpack, clothing, Tikki..." She looks at me worried and questioning. "What am I missing?"

I motion to her cargo pants, "Where are your legs?" I ask innocently.

Her eyes narrow into slits. She takes a step forward and punches my arm. "Screw you." Holy shit! I didn't know she was even capable of saying something like that!

Both laughing we approach the Gates of Hell- I mean, the school doors. Adrien, Alya and Nino are already there, also looking hella good. Adrien has a white shirt on with a black leather jacket, fancy dark blue jeans and black shoes. Alya was wearing a long flowy skirt and matching blouse. Her hair tied up in a half-up-half-down style and beautiful white flats. Nino had a crisp blue button-down and black jeans. His red headphones were still secured around his neck though, matching his red sneakers perfectly. Looking around I see that everyone has gone all out for their outfits for today. Well, everyone but me - and Juleka?

Rose - in a gorgeous pink blouse and white pants - was talking amicably to the black-haired beauty. I walk over to the pair, leaving my main group to chat without me. "I'm telling you Juleka, you're not jinxed!" Hold up, jinxed? This sounds interesting. "This time it's gonna work out, I can feel it! Right here!" Rose continues in her adorable peppy voice, placing her hands over her heart. God, this girl is SO CUTE! She's like a puppy!

"Did you knock on wood?" I ask, sauntering up to them.

"What?" Both girls look confused.

I wave my hand dismissively in front of me. "Never mind. What's this about being jinxed?"

Juleka lets out a sigh, "Ever since I was little, every time someone takes a photo of me, something always goes very wrong." Her head bows sorrowfully. I feel my heart crack.

"Fuck the jinx," I say confidently. Rose flinches but Juleka just smiles slightly. "We will do everything we can to make sure this goes right for you." I take Juleka's hand in mine and pat it. "Don't forget to smile." Much to my happiness, her lips oblige my request.

The cameraman shoos the group he was just photographing away. Bustling around, he makes adjustments to his set up - which are completely minuscule and insignificant, by the way. He beckons our class forward. "Come children! Time to show those pearly whites!"