' Maybe it's for the best '

I woke up dressed in a hospital gown, in a bed surrounded by wires.

' Mrs Flynn, you're awake. ' I was brought back to earth by the soft voice of a doctor coming round to look at me. She was a middle aged lady, with soft features and sympathetic eyes.

' What happened to me? ' I was still pretty groggy.

' You collapsed in our waiting room I'm afraid. How are you feeling? '

' Crampy still, but why did I collapse? '

' Well Mrs Flynn.. '

' Please, call me Elle. '

' Well, Elle. I'd really rather if you had someone with you when I tell you this. '

' Well you have to tell me now anyway.. '

' Elle, I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but you are currently having a miscarriage. You collapsed from a loss of blood '

' Wait, no. That's not possible, I wasn't pregnant. '

' We've run all the tests, you were in and around 6 weeks pregnant. I am so sorry for your loss, is there someone I could call for you? '

' No, I don't want to talk to anyone. '

' I'll give you a moment. '

A miscarriage, seriously. How could I possibly be pregnant, or I guess .. I'm not now. When I started college I changed my pill, I guess the new pill hadn't been working. I'm devastated, I didn't think I wanted more kids right now, but now that I know I should of been having one. I want one more than ever. I need to call my dad, I never told him I was going to the emergency room. I never told anyone. I don't even know what time it is. I don't want anyone to know about this right now, I wish I didn't even know about it. I still felt like shit.

The doctor walked back in and took a seat beside me.

' I don't understand, I haven't been drinking really, I don't smoke and I eat healthy. '

' Elle, sometimes these things don't have an explanation. It's just something that happens, and happens a lot.

' But I never even realised I was pregnant.. ' The doctor stopped, made soft eye contact with me and took a deep breath.

' Elle, it's not at all my place to comment on your situation but I've gone over your notes and I see you already have two children. Which is wonderful, but you are only young Elle. You have your whole life ahead of you sweetie. You need to stop putting so much pressure on your body. I promise you, by the time all your friends start having kids, it will be time enough for you to have your own. '

I didn't fully agree with what she was saying, but I also wasn't in the mood to argue with her. ' Will I be able to have more kids? '

' Oh goodness, of course you can. You just need to give your body time to heal first. We've run all your tests, you're okay to go home already, but you are on strict bedrest for the next few days. '

' Nobody knows that I'm here, do you know where my phone is? ' She reached down and pulled my phone from my bag, it was full of notifications, mainly missed calls and texts from my dad, followed by Lee and Rachel. Still none from Noah. The doctor left to get me some pain medications to bring home while I called my dad, who was sending Lee to come and get me because the kids were asleep in his house.

I sat in the waiting room until a panicked Lee paced through the automatic doors, he wordlessly walked around and wrapped his arms around me. I melted into him, not realising how badly I needed to be held. The tears stung my eyes as I cried gently into his shoulder.

' I was so scared Elle. ' He whispered. ' Nobody knew where the hell you were. Your dad told me what happened, I'm so so sorry Elle. '

I didn't feel like speaking but there was one question that I needed to ask. ' Have you heard from Noah ?'

' No, nobody can reach him, but it's still the middle of the night there. '

' What time is it here? '

' Five am. '

' Shit, have you been awake all night? '

'Yeah, we all have, but you're here now. Jesus Christ Elle, please never scare me like that again.' He held me tight while I cried. ' Let's get you home. ' He took my hand and led me back out to his car, opening the door and helping me into the seat. Noah should be here right now, he should be helping me. I couldn't help but feel angry that he wasn't here. Lee drove me home, helped me get into my bed and sat with me while I cried. I could feel him pulling the blanket up to my chin as I fell asleep.

I woke up to an unmistakable voice yelling from downstairs.

' Where the hell are my kids Lee? '

' Maybe you would know if you decided to answer your phone the last two days. ' It was unlike Lee to shout back, but I don't blame him for being angry. I'm angry too. '

' I just needed time away, I needed to think.' Noah was getting agitated with every word.

' Noah, you are not seventeen anymore. You have a wife, kids .. you do not get to walk away like this anymore. '

' Jesus Christ, I had meetings Lee. I'm not going to ask again, where are my fucking kids? Where is Elle? '

' I swear if you wake Elle, I will end you. '

' She's asleep? Why is she asleep? '

' Once again, you might know that if you decided to answer your phone. '

' Lee? ' Noah's tone dropped from anger to concern in one word. ' Oh god. Has something happened? '

' It's not my place to say. '

' Jesus Christ, where is she? ' I could hear Noah's heavy footing as he came upstairs and into the bedroom. Lee following him in with identical strides, almost walking into Noah as he stopped just inside the door. I could see him examining me. My pale face, exhausted swollen eyes. The pains were still too bad to allow me to move quickly. Whatever anger he was clearly holding against me drained from his face as he looked at me.

' Shelly? What's wrong? ' I turned my head to eyeball Lee. He took the hint instantly and pulled Noah out of the room with him, knowing that I would never have the strength to tell Noah what had happened. I could only hear mumbling from outside the door, I could hear Noah's back sliding down against the wall. The shock clearly taking the strength from his legs as he fell to the floor. ' Get up man, she needs you now. Regardless of whatever you are pissed off over, you need to be with her. ' Lee hissed.

A few seconds later, the door swung open to reveal Noah standing in the doorway. His face heavy with shock. Tears pooled in my eyes, blurring my vision as I started sobbing again. Noah made it over to me in two large steps and lifted me into his lap. He buried his face in my hair. He was crying too, big breathy sobs. His arms looped around my torso.

' I'm sorry Noah. ' I whispered, his body went rigid and he turned to face me.

' Elle, you have nothing to be sorry for. '

' But what if I did something wrong? This is my fault. '

' Baby, you did nothing wrong. You need to know, this is not your fault. I am so sorry for leaving Elle, I wasn't thinking clearly and I just - '

I cut across him. ' Noah, can we not talk about you leaving right now. I'm just glad you're here now. '

' I'm not going anywhere. '

Noah didn't budge at all that day. He sat with his arms coiled around me all day as I cried and slept over and over again.