Chapter 26

Emerald manages to bring me back to the moment when Dylan and Ashton attempt to kick me out of the pack. Somehow, she manages to take the memory and project it onto one of the walls.

'It's one of the skills the fae have. The myth about the fair folk being unable to lie was close to the truth. We abhor lying, but we can create visions of the truth. The truth that we know.'

"So, what you're about to show them is what happened? From my point of view?"

'Close, but no. One of the things I can also manage to do is tear myself out of your body and watch from the distance. When I feel like I need to watch what is going to happen from a distance in cases like these, I am able to watch.'

"So this will be from your view?"

Instead of answering she forces a mist like substance out of my mouth. It felt solid to my mouth but flowed like air. It slowly built up against the wall.

The people around me were silent, holding their breath while I choked over the mist falling out of my mouth.

As suddenly as it began, the mist stopped, and I was left sputtering as it formed a solid white wall.

Erik came rushing over to me, not as mesmerised by the mist as the others. He put his arms around me and pat my back, helping me spit out the rest of the mist. These little spurts just evaporated before hitting the floor.

"God dammit, Emerald, warn me next time."

'Sorry, but it needed to be done.'

Shaking my head, I straighten to a standing position, facing the wall of mist that has formed.

"What is this?" Marilyn shrieked, finally jolting out of her paralysis. "She's trying to kill us!"

"Are you kidding, Marilyn? Did you not see her nearly choke to death?" Erik scoffs.

"I'm only trying to show you the truth, apparently Emerald didn't tell me that I would stop breathing." I say, shaking my head.

Before anyone else could speak, the mist changed from an opaque white to an image of the forest. Of the towering pines, crushed pine needles on the ground. The sunlight filtering softly through the trees, creating rays of light to burst through the dark vision. I hadn't been able to appreciate the beauty of the forest, I'd been too busy running or fighting.

The way that Emerald saw the fight was that she was standing behind me to my right, so we were all able to see the Dylan, Ashton was supposedly standing beside me. He was standing in one of the rays, the sun causing Dylan's hair to glow golden, to make his eyes match the green of the trees around us. To show the absolute disgust on his face as he looked at me. At the time, I thought he was disgusted with me, now I'm not so sure.

How he had changed so much in the past two weeks, had it really only been two weeks?

I could feel Erik's grip around my shoulders tighten, he could also see the disgust on Dylan's face. Everyone could, it was so obvious. But Ashton, all you could see was the top of his head, he couldn't meet my eyes that day. He'd changed also. While Dylan got softer and more caring, Ashton got aggressive and confident.

Or it was an act. I could never know with him.

"What are you doing here?" I hear myself ask, that was something I don't ever want to experience again.

"We had a plan. Don't you worry." Dylan said as he began to walk closer to the mist, the disgust being replace with anger

"What do you mean 'we had a plan?'" I asked, my head swinging from one boy to the other.