Year 3: Not Everything Is Romantic

Začať od začiatku

As I was carefully filling my plate with roast beef and other delicious foods, Cedric slipped into the empty space across the table from me. 

"How is everyone's favorite trick rider doing this evening?" He asked, shoving a spoonful of potatoes in his mouth.

"Never better." I rolled my eyes as I looked over at him.

"Blimey, that Weasley really did a number on your face." He cringed, wide eyes scanning over my bruises.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." 

"I'm sorry, I'll change the subject. I heard that one of the twins walked you from the hospital wing to the dorms." He said, whispering to me like it was something that we were trying to keep secret.

"Yeah, George brought me my broom and walked me down there. I think it was the least he could've done after what he did to my face." I shrugged, going to town on my now full plate.

"Well are you going to tell me about it?"

"About what? We talked about Quidditch and he said that he would help me carry my books to class until my arm got better. There's no juicy secrets to be had here." 

Classic Cedric. He had maybe a total of three brain cells, and yet he thought that he knew everything that went on within our house, especially if anyone was sweet on one another. He seemed to be calling out students everyday that he thought had crushes on one another, and he was more often than not, very wrong. Like just the other day he tried to tell me that he thought that Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger fancied one another. I don't know where he's getting his information from, but it is not a very reliable source. I wasn't even sure if the two first years were even good friends yet.

"He's going to carry your books? Perhaps chivalry isn't dead." He laughed and winked at me.

"Cedric, you're going to be dead if you keep this up," I laughed, a dull ache echoing over my face, "He's just trying to make up for the incident out on the field. Once I get better, I doubt either of us will hear much from the great George Weasley ever again. Not everything is romantic, Cedric."

"If you say so." He shrugged.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I wouldn't look now if I were you, but I'd look now." He nodded his head, indicating that he wanted me to turn around. 

I turned around and found that not only was George looking over at Cedric and I, but so were his brothers Fred and Ron, Harry Potter, and Hermione Granger. I offered a small wave with my good hand and they awkwardly returned it before I turned around. I wondered what they had been saying about me...

"Just because people are looking doesn't mean that they like me. There's at least one person from every table looking over here because I ate grass on the field today." I sighed, taking a swig of pumpkin juice and I felt my face contort and disgust. I hated, pumpkin juice, but you drink what you're given around here I suppose.

I wasn't going to try and be like that first year who managed to blow up his cup by trying to turn his water into rum earlier this year. 

"I guess you're right, but don't shoot him down so soon. I've heard that many girls have fallen victim to the charm of the funny guy." Cedric shrugged, pointing at me with his spoon.

"Oh please, it will take a lot more than wit to win me over."

"I wouldn't be so sure, but okay. What did Madam Pomfrey say about your arm?" He asked, changing the subject yet again. 

"She said that it's not broken, but I can't use it for a few weeks. Which means no Quidditch." I sighed, wishing I could say that my disappointment had fought off my appetite, but there was no point in lying to myself.