The Moments Like These

It's past midnight when we arrive in Seoul, and I agree to stay at Miyeon's place after my mother doesn't answer my call. I tell her through a message after that that I'll go home in the morning.

When I step in Miyeon's apartment, the first thing I witness is that Siwon, Miyeon's husband, complains about his wife not replying his messages.

"Oh, hi May," Siwon greets me and gives me a hug before telling me that his wife has been ignoring his messages as if I haven't just heard the words of complaints from him.

Then, Miyeon tells me that my room is ready and Siwon asks me to have some rest after finding out that I was the one who drove from Sokcho.

Fatigue and sleepiness win this time that I immediately head off to the guest room, but I pivot on my heals when I remember something. "Maybe it's because of the baby--"

"May!" Miyeon reacts and she tells with her eyes, asking me to leave.

"What baby?" Siwon asks, confused.

And it's getting interesting. "So... Is it true that you haven't told him that you're pregnant?"

"You're pregnant?"

"Don't listen to her," Miyeon answers and she adds, "May, go to bed!"

I chuckle.

"Hey, are you really pregnant?" And that's the last thing I hear as I close the door behind me.

I smile so big, the same smile I wear as I retell it to our friends when finally we're in Jongdae's house.

"It took a big effort of an acting skill and I hate to think again why I thought it was convincing," I say.

"Does it mean you wouldn't come if you didn't oblige to drive her?" Minseok who is taking a break from his duty as a pharmacist in a hospital tells. Jongdae who is making sure that I eat the traditional cakes he provides for his son's 100-days birthday fakes a pained expression as he hears that.

And Miyeon who is joining Jongdae's wife feeding the baby states that I can be so stubborn that she had to pull off a pregnant woman if it meant she would be back to Seoul with me.

Then, Sehun who has been busy with his phone asks if we want some bubble tea, saying, "Chanyeol hyung is grabbing some for me." I meet Sehun's eyes. "You want?" And I shake my head.

Am I really going to meet him?

I'm quiet after that, listening to everyone chatting. And when finally Chanyeol, Jongin and Soojung arrive, I can't hide my nervous smile.

They have been informed that I came from Sokcho, but when finally we're in the same room, Soojung is like not believing her eyes. She hugs me so tight and I smile to Chanyeol when our eyes meet.

"Sweety Pumpkin noona!" Joy is apparent in Jongin's tone when he shakes my hand. I might want to be mad for the nickname I didn't hear for a while, but nostalgia won't let me.

Chanyeol is quiet until he asked when I arrived from Sokcho as we shake hands. I tell that I never left Seoul in a joking manner and he chuckles before saying, "You don't age."

"And you gain weight, huh?" It leaves my mouth as if I've never seen him through his Instagram posts. Sehun tells that Chanyeol's fitness subscription is the answer of my question.

The boy who liked buying me snacks was no longer a lanky teenager. He is a man who builds his body. He is a man who  dyed his hair copper and wears silver rings on his pinky and forefinger. An expensive watch is looping around his wrist, but he is humble with his words and gesture as he responds to his friends who confirm if he got a new car. He grew up and I can't believe that I let a deceitful pain make me decide to remove myself from his life once.