The First of Everything

"I need a volunteer, please," my sister told us as she tapped a stack of our workbooks just as soon as she dismissed the class. Today wasn't my duty, but I raised my hand faster than Bae Suzy who was willing to help. I grinned at her.

My sister gave me a knowing look when I collected the books in my hands. She fully understood that I liked spending time outside the classroom.

I walked ahead of her because Nam Woohyun came to my sister to discuss the essay writing contest that he was currently participating.

Walking to the teachers office, I slowed down my pace when I found Chanyeol and Amber at the hallway.

Amber greeted me while Chanyeol was just there smiling from where he was sitting on the floor. I tip-toed and found Mr. Song still talking in front of their classmates.

"What made the teacher ask you to leave the class this time?"

I heard my sister ask them and my mouth formed an O as I met Chanyeol's eyes. Then, I quickened my pace, still catching Chanyeol's words as he performed self-defense in front of his homeroom teacher, telling that he had finished doing the homework, but forgot to bring it.

When I walked back a moment later, they were still seen at the hallway, but this time both of them were reading their books.

Long before I started the friendship with him, Chanyeol was notorious for breaking rules. He liked pulling pranks for fun with his friends and it became a challenge for our teachers. But I found that gradually he changed and it was good for him.

Chanyeol spared his time to meet my eyes and we smiled then he hid his face behind his book as if he was shy.

This dork.

I smiled alone as I walked back to my classroom.

When later we met again while I was waiting for study hall, Chanyeol brought up what happened during his arts class.

"Guess, today May added a red mark for me in her book," he said as we were watching our basketball team play for their weekly training while sharing potato chips.

I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I felt my cheeks heat up at this, not because of what he said, but because of his eyes not leaving me. I didn't know what to say to fill in the silence. Some silent responses flew in my head, but no statements could leave my mouth. Then, from my peripheral view, I could see him watch the game again.

Chanyeol remembered the promise he said on his birthday although I didn't demand on anything, but we really spent more time together and I wasn't even sure how to feel about it. I never complained, not when he would stay at school when he could just go home.

Our friends were still noisy with the teasing, but most of the times they left me alone whenever he came to accompany me waiting before taking study hall.

"You ready for finals?" I asked instead.

"Ready for the winter break after that. Mom has been planning on spending time in Gangwon-do. I don't feel like joining, but I know that she won't be pleased." He sighed before smiling. Chanyeol had said that the restaurant wasn't open during Christmas holiday. "You? Any plans for holiday?"

I couldn't think of any plans other than working harder-- Miyeon told about her uncle who needed a nanny for his five years old son during holiday.

"Jaemin is a very sweet boy. He needs a friend." I remembered Miyeon tell me and when I said, "You can be a friend for your cousin.", she reasoned that I might want to consider for the money. She knew me and I scoffed at how in the end she would describe me as a girl who needed to collect money.