33 - Back Home

I just could not stop crying. How could he do this to me? How could he lie? He even told me he wouldn't lie to me!

It actually felt like someone stabbed in the heart. It hurt so much... I curled up on the ground my right hand covering my heart. The rocks in the dirt rubbed against my skin but I didn't care. My heart hurt any more. My tears made the ground around my face muddy.

Flame and his whole pack were just using me. Just because I was a werecat. Did they really think if they kept this secret from me that I would stay loyal to them when I found out! How stupid could they be! Honestly, it was just a matter of time until I found out and now I never want to see them again.

Clearly Flame cared more about his pack than me. I doubted he even cared about me. Or loved me. The tears kept streaming down my face. He was probably just following orders when he told me I was his mate. What's worse is I believed every word he said to me. I trusted him. Clearly, that was all a big mistake.

Why couldn't I have just realised what I was sooner? Then maybe things wouldn't have turned out like this. There was always something within me that was telling me the truth the whole time but I had listened to him over it. Why couldn't I have trusted myself more?

I felt a hand stroke me back. That better not be Flame or he is dead. He has lost the right to touch me, in fact, I didn't even want him in my sight. I turned my head to see who it was, ready to hurt them.

It was Kara. I relaxed.

"I wanted to tell you but they wouldn't let me. Flame told me that Talon would kill me if I did. I wanted to protect you, and your family, but I failed and I will forever be sorry. I hope that one day you might forgive me but if you can't I understand. I also understand if you want to banish me but I still want to protect you and be by your side, even if you hate me," she whispered to me. For the first time, she actually looked ashamed, her smile was gone and replaced with a frown. She was so completely disappointed in herself. For once she didn't have the annoying air about her. She wasn't boasting about her "beauty" or squealing crazily. She was calm. She was genuinely wanted to be here to comfort me because she knew that she had wronged me.

My tears stopped, I sat up and hugged her. I have one person I know I can rely on. Truly she was the only one there that night. None of those wolves helped.

She started to cry, "Victoria I'm your guardian witch."

"What do you mean?" 

"Werecats are vulnerable to magic so each werecat has a guardian witch those powers reflect her own. The guardians were created to protect their werecat," Kara explained through the tears, "I failed you."

Kara is made to protect me. I don't even know how to feel about that.

"You tried your best," I whispered but she just cried harder, "It's not your fault, it's Talon's fault. It's Flame's fault. It's that whole damn pack's fault."

I felt anger and sadness flow into me almost as the same emotion. Making me want to punch something then cry but I held back my emotions.

"I guess you're right," Kara wiped her tears, "I'm sorry guardian witches aren't meant to show emotions like this."

She forced herself to smile. It was fake and hollow. It looked like some had been very cruel to her but she still had to be nice to them.

"Kara, I say you can feel whatever you emotions you like," I commanded her feeling a bit weird about ordering her around.

She smiled again, this time a real smile "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I replied.

I knew Kara was a witch of course but this was a little strange. I was still going to treat her like my friend. So far she has done a better job of protecting me than Flame. My supposed mate. I bit my lip hard and tasted blood. However, his betrayal hurt way more than my bleeding lip.