28 - The war of the vampires

The scream. That's all we got. The only warning. I don't know who's scream it was but I think it might have saved my brothers' lives. Though it wasn't enough I am still thankful for that scream. When I heard that I knew something was up. Something wasn't right. Something inside me told me that I wasn't safe and that I needed to get out of there but I wasn't just going to run away.

I walked down the hall to my little brothers' room. They looked up at me when I walked in. It had clearly disturbed them as much as it had for me. "Did you hear that too?" Jack asked.

I nodded, "Something is wrong..."

They looked worried. "Are mummy and daddy ok?" Jack asked.

"I'm not sure.... let's go check," I told them and they nodded.

We all quickly rushed out of the room and down the stairs. My mother and father were in the study looking out the window to the street. We walked up to them nervously. What was happening out there? Something inside me told me to dread the answer.

"What's going on?" Jake asked.

"Nothing sweetie, just take Jack and go into the basement," Mother told him.

With the worry and urgency in our mother's voice, Jake did as he was told. "Mum, what's going on?" I asked once they were out of hearing range.

"There seems to be some... army attacking people," she told me.

"What..... what do you mean?" I asked really confused. What on earth is he talking about... I heard that scream but...

I walked up to the window and what I saw was horrific and I wish I could unsee it. To this day I still remember that horrific sight. I think it would take a lifetime to forget.

There was blood all over the street, dead bodies scattered throughout it too, dead bodies of people I have known for years too. My neighbours. Worse of all were the ones who killed them. They were people with cold red eyes.... vampires. Their mouths and hands were dripping with blood from fresh victims. They charged into the homes of innocent people and ripped them to shreds, leaving blood to trickle from the broken down doorways and into the street. I had to look away. I couldn't stand to see the massacre.

"Please go protect your brothers Victoria," my father told me. I nodded and quickly ran up to my room. I searched around for my cavalry sabre. It was hidden under my bed and I quickly pulled it out from under there. I felt that I would need to use this. And I was thankful for it, it was probably the only weapon in the whole house had it could mean the difference between life and death for my family.

I walked quickly down to the basement with it. My brothers were down there hugging each other in fear. It was really dark down there, I tried to turn on a light but after flicking the switch a few times I realised the power was out. Which would make sense. I closed the door behind me. The dark doesn't really bother me because for some reason I can see in the dark now. My brothers couldn't see in the dark though.

"Victoria I'm really scared," Jake whimpered.

"Don't worry Jake I won't let them hurt you," I told him trying to comfort him, he hadn't seen what I saw though. I was still really scared, I had no idea how I could protect them. I know I can't become a vampire but I can still be killed by one. This really wasn't the time to be thinking about that. I hugged my brothers trying to comfort them. What I should be thinking about is protecting my family. I may not be a werewolf like Flame and Griffin or a witch like Kara but I'm not an ordinary human and I can use my sword.

"What about Mummy and Daddy?" Jack asked clinging onto me sounding terrified.

He was right, I couldn't just leave them up there against the vampires. Neither of them had fought a vampire before. "I'll be right back ok, I'm just going to get them," I told my brothers then I walked out of the basement. With my sensitive sense of smell, I could smell blood from far away. I just hoped that was coming from the street.