8 - A New Teacher

"Come on Victoria wake up you're already late," my mother's voice boomed interrupting my dreams.

My eyes snapped open. I jolted upright and I lept out of bed. My mum giggled under her breath watching me scramble around for my clothes. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" I complained.

"You were peaceful sleeping and you were up so late doing homework last night," She replied. 

In reality, I was still unsettled about the construction site incident. I couldn't sleep because of it and I was also falling behind in homework because of all of these distractions. Even though there wasn't much she could do about it my mum did like to cut me some slack when she just somehow knew things were hard at school.

Still, it cost me what could have been a morning talking to Flame.

I looked up at my clock it was 8:35 am "Ahhhh mum I'm meant to be at school now!" I screamed.

"Get ready and I'll drive you there," she said, smiled, and walked out of my room.  

***

When I finally got to school it was 9:00. I opened up the car door, got my bag and got out. My eyes were already searching for orange. "Bye sweetie," my mum called out to me.

"Bye mum," I said quickly then closed the car door. My mum drove away. 

I quickly ran into the school building and over to my locker. I wondered if Flame was coming to school today? Probably not but I still had hope, there were so many questions I needed answers to. I guessed he must be in a lot of trouble so there is the possibility that I could never see him again.

Instead, I hoped that there was another explanation for all this.

I got my books from my locker. There were students and teachers walking around going to their next classes. I started walking but saw fire coloured hair in the crowd. 

Excitement filled me. It had to be him.

I ran toward it; pushing past all the student who just weren't walking fast enough. 

Suddenly I tripped and went flying through the air before landing hard on the ground. Pain erupted from yesterday's bruises. I looked back and there was Frank laughing at me. Cruelty glinting in his eyes. I sighed, picked up my books and walked the rest of the way to class; I had lost Flame.

It seemed like the world was intent on my never getting answers.

***

When the class had finished I quickly rushed back to my locker and put away my books. I wanted to find Flame and fast; there was so much I wanted to ask him. I couldn't bear sitting through another class struggling to concentrate because all I could think about was that pool of blood and the bodies.

 I quickly walked down the hallway to where his locker was with hope flickering through me. Sure enough, he was there putting his books away. "Flame!" I called out smiling and waving.

He looked up from his locker and over at me "Victoria?" he questioned not believing his own words.

I walked up to him and said, "Look I'm not going to play around I just want to know, what happened? What did I see?"

"I can't tell you but you need to stay away from me," Flame said there was a hint of fear in his voice. 

That hit me hard.