6 - Construction

"What happened to you?" Flame asked me as he saw the bruise that had bloomed on my cheek despite my attempt to cover it. I didn't even know why I wanted to cover it. Maybe I was just felt like my life was somewhat normal now that I had an actual friend. I usually hit that kind of thing from my mother though, I didn't want to worry her.

"Frank," Was my only reply, Flame's face twisted into a scowl.

 "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry you didn't hit me?" I smiled at him to relive some of the guilt from him.

"He is taking out his frustration on you," he said and hung his head.

"I wish I could get back at Frank, if I even try to confront him he punches me," I said quietly but hopefully. 

I was secretly hoping Flame would go and beat him up. Having someone willing to stand up for you was such an overwhelming feeling. Even if yesterday at the fair was strange, I could forgive it.

"I will teach him a lesson for you," Flame said then walked off. 

Success! I broke out into a secret smile and followed Flame as he walked down the hall, almost strutting. 

Frank was in the middle of a group of friends as always, Flame shoved his way into the core of the group. I walked in the path that Flame had created, getting so many glares from Frank's friends as I brushed past them. Upon grazing shoulders with me, some of them even jumped back widening the path as we walked through. Flame walked right up to Frank despite Frank's height Flame's stance dominated the situation.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Frank yelled at Flame.

"I thought I told you not to hurt Victoria again," Flame growled.

"Firstly I don't know what you're talking about and secondly you never said that idiot," Frank mocked before he punched Flame right between the eyes. As Frank's hand hit Flame's face I heard a crack and Frank quickly pulled his hand back.

"I think you will find that your hand is broken," growled Flame in a soft voice.

Frank ran off nursing his hand. Flame just stood there completely still.

"Thank you!" I yelled, ran over to Flame and hugged him.

Flame hugged me back. He has strong arms and held me tightly but it didn't hurt. We stayed in that position for a time that seemed like forever. I didn't care that people were staring; all I cared about was that there was someone hugging me and that cared about me. 

Flame's body was deliciously warm.

Flame finally pulled out of the hug and said "we should get to class."

"Yeah," I replied, but deep down I didn't want to go to class. What I wanted was to be hugged by Flame again and this time never let go. Alas, Flame started walking away so I followed him.

***

I sat next to Flame in homeroom he was looking down at something on his lap. I peered over his shoulder to look. It was a phone and he was texting someone. I whispered right into his ear since my head was on his shoulder "You know you can't have phones in class right?" 

He jumped a little but ignored me and continued texting. I gave him a moment but he was completely focused. I lent over and whispered, "Who are you talking to?" 

"My p... I mean .... friend," he whispered.

I sat back into my seat, this is kind of mean but I thought I was his only friend. How could he already have friends here if he just moved? Maybe they are still in his old town? Was I just the worst at making friends? That had to be it.