32 - Blood Stains

The pink gemstone had blood all over it.

Flame had found it. I had left in my house and of course, I didn't have time to get it before I left. I was happy to see it again though it reminded me of a time when everything was fine. Smiling up at Flame who had just given it to me, I tried to scrub the blood off of it. It wasn't working too well. The blood was persistent.

It had been about three weeks since the vampires had attacked. Although my brothers weren't quite over the fact that my parents are dead and I guess neither I am, they are getting better. Though I didn't think it was something I nor they could ever fully overcome. They seemed to really enjoy the pack and got along well with almost all of the wolves in it.

Both my brothers' and my own fighting skills had improved so much. We could defend ourselves pretty well in such a short time. Although Flame was upset about my turning my brothers into werewolves I didn't really regret it because if they weren't they would be in so much trouble. Both them and I would live in constant fear of a vampire attack. My fighting skills have improved so much so that Flame, Griffin, Kara and I went out and killed a whole group of vampires together, and I could actually match their pace and their power. I do hate the gore however it felt so good to get my revenge on the vampires. Did that make me bloodthirsty? Who knows but they started it. It did make sense for a vampire to be bloodthirsty come to think of it.

Flame smiled down at me as I continued to try to scrub the blood off the necklace. It just would not come off!

"Don't worry about it Victoria, you already wearing a necklace," he told me and my hands instantly went to my neck. I was wearing the one the Alpha gave to me. I'm too scared to take it off. I wanted him to see that it was around my neck at all times.

"Oh yeah," I said and slipped the necklace into the pocket of my jeans. Even though it still bothered me that this treasured gift from Flame was stained with blood.

"I've got to go speak to the Alpha now, go find Griffin and Kara," Flame told me then walked out of the room leaving me alone.

I stood there for a while. The other werewolves in the pack had still been treating Flame like he was in disgrace and I still had no idea what for. Despite me living with the wolves they kept their secrets. Griffin changed the subject every time I asked him and I didn't feel it was right to ask Flame. But now he was talking to the Alpha.

This had to be a good sign. I really wished I knew what they were saying. Maybe I could wait outside the Alpha's office for when Flame finished talking and then ask him what happened.

I walked out of the room and down the hall. Tracing my hand along the wall as I walked I was careful to avoid the dints and blood. I came to the Alpha's office and stood outside but something was different. I could hear what they were saying. The door was open.

Not very much just a crack but the sound was escaping from it.

My heart leapt into my throat. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help it. They had kept so much from me and I always felt so in the dark. My heart was racing but I listened.

"...why can't we just tell her? How does anyone benefit from her not knowing?" I heard Flame ask.

"She is not ready yet, she could do something stupid," the Alpha replied.

"She isn't a child!"

"Maybe not but this is too big of a decision to leave to you."

What were they talking about? .... This must be private I knew probably shouldn't listen but... I was suddenly so curious. I crept closer to the door.

"You idiot you left the door open anyone could hear!" I heard the Alpha yell. The door quickly closed and I could no longer hear what they were saying... damn it.

***

I was training with Flame and Griffin when it happened. Kara was watching us with a pleasant smile on her face.

Flame and I were fighting with our swords. He disarmed me sending my sword flying. I just laughed. He was so much better at this than me. Without warning Flame threw aside his sword and jumped forward toward me as if to tackle me.

Adrenaline rushed through me and as I jumped out of his way I could feel my body changing. Muscles growing bigger, bones changing shape and fur growing everywhere. It wasn't painful at all. In fact, it made me feel powerful. When I hit the ground I landed elegantly on four feet..... Four feet. I looked down at my legs they were massive cheetah legs. 

What! 

I tried to yell but all that came out was a muffled growl.

Griffin, Flame and Kara were all staring at me. All silent. All in shock.

"Oh no..." Griffin whispered.

Is this some kind of weird dream? Did I fall asleep?!

Flame slowly walked up to me like I was dangerous. "Victoria it will be ok," he said slowly like he was talking to someone who couldn't speak English.

I looked up into his eyes. I could see he was really scared. I wanted to comfort him, it was still me in here. I wasn't dangerous.

The alpha walked out, "What is going on!" He yelled and looked around. His eyes rested on me. And horror befell him.

I backed away from Flame and from him. What were they going to do to me? I swear I wouldn't hurt them. The horrific expression on their faces was all completely directed at me. Argh! They didn't know that it was still me! I couldn't tell them either because this mouth couldn't form words.

"We have to tell her now," Flame spat viciously at the alpha.

I felt something creep into my mind. For some reason, it was yellow, it wrapped around my mind and dug deeper. It was searching for something. I suddenly changed back to a normal human again.

I screamed, "Please someone tell me what's going on!!!"

Flame walked over to me and hugged me.

"Flame you may tell her," The alpha growled, he was furious.

"Victoria, you are the cheetah werecat," Flame explained, "one of the strongest myths in the world."

"How long have I been a werecat?" I whimpered. This is so overwhelming I don't even know what to feel.

"Since that night when Pan bit you," Flame told me.

"So he was real!" I shouted. He lied to me! I knew it all this time. But to hear it from his lips stung.

"Yes, he was," Flame whispered not looking me in the eye.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I asked trying to make eye contact with him.

"You could have done something dangerous, we wanted to protect you," he explained still not looking at me.

"Flame if you had have told me I might have been able to protect my parents! Do you understand that? There was so much time I could have trained and become more powerful but it's all gone now! And so are they!" I yelled. Rage suddenly filled me.

"Please calm down Victoria," The alpha said trying to sound calm.

"I had orders," Flame whispered sounding ashamed of himself.

"You lied to me! It's your fault my parents are dead!" I screamed and ran off.

"Victoria come back!" I heard the alpha yell.

I never wanted to see them again. I started crying as I ran. Why would they do this to me? If they had just told me everything would be different. Tears were streaming down my face. My parents would still be alive.

I stopped running in the middle of the forest and fell to my knees crying my eyes out. Flame why did you lie to me! 

You broke my heart...

Edited - 16/2/2021

Published - 5/1/2015