22 - Left Eye

Flame and I were sitting alone on the top of the roof of my house; for some reason it was actually effortless for me to get up there. Flame offered me his hand to climb but I didn't need it, my balance and strength could handle it on their own. That surprised me because I've never really been good at those types of things. My body was seriously doing some weird things but it's not like they are negative things. Unless they have some kind of negative side effect I'm not aware of, ignorance is truly bliss if that is truly the case. I have a lot more energy and am a lot stronger than I have ever been. Just before when I was turning off a light in my room I accidentally broke the switch. The plastic just shattered under my finger. That was a bit annoying and I didn't even press it that hard. I guess I just had to be more careful. Anyway, I was sitting on the roof with Flame and the sun was setting casting beautiful colours across the winter sky. I had my hand in Flame's as we gazed up at the sky. Deep purple clouds loomed but no rain, it was as if they were waiting for us.

Flame looked at over me, "You know the vampires have been getting worse lately."

I shivered and to be honest, I was really scared that something would happen to him while he is fighting the vampires. It also reminded me of the night Mr Pan disappeared.... well maybe that was a dream maybe Mr Pan was just a big strange math-related dream but it still reminded me of that, I can still remember the fear that had filled me that night.

"Don't worry I will protect you Victoria," Flame whispered in my ear as he hugged me.

"I'm worried about you," I told him.

"You shouldn't be worried it would take more than a few leeches to take me down," he told me in a calming voice "You've seen what I did to Frank," I giggled, "I was going easy on him too."

"Yeah I know, you're amazing," I told him looking up at him, " I shouldn't be worried."

But I was. How couldn't I be? If he was going to keep secrets from me I suppose I could keep this one from him.

He smiled down at me, "behind every great man there is an even greater woman."

I blushed, "I'm not that great...."

"You are, you just haven't realised it yet," he told me then kissed me.

There was a hint of something in his voice but I couldn't pick up on it because of the kiss that melted away all my concerns and worries. Still though, those words spoke to something deep within me.

***

I was getting ready for school when I noticed how much lighter my left I had become. I looked at it closer. It was barely purple anymore.... this was weird. The other one is fine. I sighed.

I look even stranger now.

Oh well I had to press on, as weird as my eyes were I couldn't just stare at them all day in the mirror. I picked up my bag and walked out of the house saying goodbye to my mum. I remember before I met Flame I had prayed that my eyes would change colour, maybe I hadn't put enough emphasis on the plural. 

As I walked out I saw Flame on his motorbike outside my house. "Flame?" I exclaimed with probably the biggest smile on my face.

"I'm taking you to school," he told me as he chucked the helmet at me. I caught it and put it on excitement tingling through my body.

"Thanks," I got onto the motorbike.

He started it and it sped off along the road... but it wasn't fast enough. I could run faster than this!