9 - Red Eyes

Sitting at a cafe all alone, there were people talking all around me. I had never felt so alone. My only friend wanted nothing to do with me, likely because I knew far too much. I didn't know if I would ever see him again. I held back my tears and took a sip from my coffee. In front of me were some girls; they all were laughing and smiling. I wished I could have friends like that, ones I could laugh with. My eyes kept me from having that kind of fun. All it seemed I could ever have was jealousy.

The only person who could stand my eyes now ... 

"Kill" 

That one word caught my ear and cut through my thoughts. It came from the table behind me. I listened to the conversation as I held my hot coffee to my lips.

"How long are we going to be stuck in this café?" a female voice asked.

"Until the sun goes down," a male one replied.

"But we have to be there by midnight and it's so far east," said a male voice.

"We will get there don't worry," a female voice said in a calming way.

"Every wave that has been sent before us has been killed," a female voice complained.

"We do what the leader tells us," a male voice replied simply.

The leader? What are they talking about? Are they part of a secret club or something? I doubt it was that innocent when talking about waves being killed. It all was very hushed and sinister. 

I turned my head a little; they all had blood-red eyes. Just like the ones the wolf and Flame had fought. I was filled with fear and something told me to get out of there. I got out of my chair and walked out of the café, trembling. Trying to calm myself I thought if Frank thinks my eyes are weird he should see theirs. Though I doubted he would pick on them, an aura of fear surrounded them.

But then I considered maybe those people know the others that Flame fought in the school...  Should I ask them? I might never get another chance. I might never get those answers. Maybe somehow they could tell me where Flame is and he might start talking to me again. Besides, it was broad daylight with lots of people around, what was the worst they could do?

I took a deep breath and walked back into the café. I could see them sitting at the table talking. They all looked scared and serious; so different to the giggling girls sitting near them. Every cell in my body was telling me to run away but I forced myself to take a step then another one. 

I was almost at the table, their aura of fear gripped me. I hesitated for just a moment when an arm appeared around my waist; it pulled me back and out of the café. It let me go when we were out. I quickly turned around to see Flame.

"What do you think you were doing?" he yelled.

"Flame," I exclaimed.

"What were you doing with them you stupid girl?!" he yelled ignoring all the people who were now staring at us.

"I... I ... I was going to find out what happened at school," I stammered looking at the ground.

"You idiot the only thing you would find with them is death," he said angrily.

"Flame I can't just ignore what happened if you won't tell me I'll find out another way," I said strongly.

He sighed. "Fine you win I tell you if it will keep you from doing stupid things, but not here come with me," he said then took my hand and started pulling me away. All I could do was smile, I might have gotten my friend back.

"Where are we going?" I asked. Flame didn't reply he just kept pulling me through the crowd of the shopping centre. People were giving us weird looks and I could see why. There was a boy with flame-like hair pulling a girl with dark skin and purple eyes through a shopping centre. I am used to the weird looks but I think Flame was now a little embarrassed so he sped up. I remembered once again the low profile thing and that almost made me laugh.