3 - Low Profile

Flame and I sat down to eat our lunch. I could hear everyone around us whispering. It was a normal thing for me though with Flame beside me I felt acutely aware of it. And for once it didn't feel overwhelmingly negative.

"It won't be long before the whole school knows about you," I told Flame.

"Well maybe they won't bug me if they know what I can do," said Flame in a dull tone.  I took a bite of my food and tried to ignore the hundreds of eyes piercing my back. Surely they were a little afraid of him after what had happened. After all, no one had approached us to comment something nasty. Maybe I should have been more scared but all I felt was this warmth growing in my chest, knowing that someone finally cared enough about me to stand up to Frank.

Flame sighed and asked after a moment, "Do they always do this?"

"Pretty much all the time," I answered.

"I think someone needs to make some changes around here," he said.

"That sounds like a good idea but what could we do?" I asked, nervously looking up at him. I had to admit the tiniest spark of hope light up inside of me.

"Whoa I never said I was going to make these changes," said Flame.

A bucket of water was dumped on that spark "Why not?" I asked quickly.

"Because my al... I mean... father told me that I had to keep a low profile," he muttered stumbling over his words then cursing under his breath.

"Well, you've failed that," I muttered, Flame gave me a death stare and I quickly blurted out, "Sorry but I think they will remember, and the way rumours go around in this school you'll turn into like a superhero who can punch down brick walls."

"Wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration," he replied softly, averting his eyes. My eyes widened, how much can this boy do?

Before I got to ask him the bell rang.

***

I sat in class wondering how just strong Flame is. To throw Frank across the hall with one punch. he really doesn't look like it but that leather jacket must hide a lot. 

Though as much as it pleased me that someone had beaten up Frank I knew that Flame had started something. And that low profile would now be impossible in this school as Frank was sure to gather up all his friends and gang up on Flame. I could only hope that Flame would be able to handle them all.

It was strange how much things had changed in only half a day. From having no one to having one friend. Even if it didn't last I was grateful and hopeful for the rest of the term. Maybe the tides would change.

I looked down at my blank page, only thirty minutes until the end of class, I better get some work done.

***

I rushed out of class and put my books in my locker. I had to find Flame; I looked down one way of the hallway. My eyes scanning for the fiery orange hair, it stood out against the dull browns. I turned back and there he was right behind me, I jumped a little and he smirked. I blushed then asked, "Have you seen Frank?"

"No why?" asked Flame.

"I think he might want to fight you after ... what happened before. He isn't one of those kinds of people who back down without a fight," I explained.

Flame sighed, "So much for keeping a low profile, I never should have punched him that hard."

"Maybe it was a good thing and you probably would have still stood out."

"What do you mean?"

"Well punching Frank showed him that he can just bully people and get away with it. You would still stand out because of your flame-like hair, people who look a little odd stand out at this school. I am a living example of that," I explained looking into his eyes to make a point.

Just as I finished my sentence Frank walked up to us and tapped Flame on the shoulder. Flame's face turned to a scowl, his canines were sharp and looked ready to rip out a throat. He turned to face Frank. "What do you want," Flame growled and I couldn't help but be reminded of a wolf.

Frank just snorted and punched Flame square in the face. Flame staggered back, turned his head to face me, strangely enough, his nose wasn't even bleeding. He said, "You were right, stand back."

I stood back as he said. Quite a crowd had gathered I guess because of Frank gathering them, I melted into them despite them avoiding me like the plague. Frank tried to punch Flame again but Flame ducked with unexpected swiftness and kicked Frank in the leg. Frank fell over and while he was down Flame punched him in the stomach. Frank tried to get up but Flame punched him in the face, he skidded a bit and was back down. Flame walked over and kicked him so hard he shot right into the lockers making a big dent. 

Everyone in the crowd gasped aside from me. I was smiling finally the bully had been beaten. Flame walked over to Frank and whispered to him "If I ever see you picking on Victoria or anyone ever again, this will happen again. Your reign of terror is over Frank."

Everyone stayed deathly silent even Frank who would normally have some smart-ass comment to make but I broke that silence and cheered "Go Flame!"

A teacher had turned the corner marched down the hall, Flame quickly walked over to me. "What will happen if that teacher finds out what happened?" he asked me.

"I don't know but it won't be good," I whispered back.

Flame grabbed my arm and started running. We ran out of the building and then out of the school and into the street

"Where are we going?" I asked him just trying to keep up.

"You will see."

Edited - 31/3/2015

Edit 2 - 28/3/2020