18 - He will be there when you need him

All through the lesson, I couldn't focus. Would anyone be able to focus when they just recognised their maths teacher in a book about Greek gods? Maybe he was just the model for the book, some hopeful part of my brain wanted to believe that. But truthfully I knew there was something more to Mr Pan, he wasn't just a model. What could I do though, ask him if he was a god? Surely he would just laugh at me.

And what if he was?

When the bell rang I jumped. All the other students started packing up their book and chatted loudly. Everything was so normal and mundane around me, however, I just sat there. I was frozen. 

Besides I had no one to talk to when I got out of the classroom anyway.

Once everyone around me had cleared out with all of their books, Mr Pan noticed that I was still sitting there. He looked over at me and smiled, those green eyes sparkling back. I stared blankly back. There was really no mistaking those eyes, I don't know why it took me so long in the first place. Maybe it was the part of me that didn't want to believe, that though the possibility of Mr Pan merely being a model had some truth. He hobbled over on his crutches.

"Victoria what is the matter?" he asked looking concerned. 

I didn't reply. I was to scared to ask him, or to say anything. There was a God talking to me. I no longer had the strength to snap back at him.

"Victoria are you ok?" He asked and looked down at 'the god of the wild' which was still open on my desk. He then looked back up at me, one eyebrow raised. "Have we finally figured out who I am Victoria?" he asked.

I just looked up at him to scared to say anything. 

"Just so you know you are right, I am Pan the Greek god of the wild and you have proven yourself," he told me. I couldn't move I was in that much shock. Mr Pan a god... I guess that does explain a few things though.

He walked out of the classroom leaving me with my many spiralling thoughts.

I sat in that classroom long after Mr Pan had left before I could move. Everything was just changing so quickly. Was this kind of shock meant to be a weekly thing? I picked up all my books and walked over to my locker. I was trying to avoid thinking about it because there was just too many overwhelming questions. What he had last said to me I didn't know how to feel about, I had proven myself... how and what did that mean? 

I turned around and Frank was there. 

That brought me out from my trance. He looked pleased which was never ever a good sign. Though to be fair none of this emotions ever really meant anything good for me.

"I haven't seen fire-hair or that other guy in a while," he smirked.

I felt that pang of fear I had almost forgotten because of everything that had been happening, Frank had finally realised. I couldn't let him know that they were ... not here. "Really because I saw them this morning," I told him trying to hide the fact I was lying by looking him straight in the eyes.

Wrong move, he glowered at me, his face twisting in disgust upon seeing my purple eyes.

"None of my friends have seen them in days," he said stepping a little closer. I tried to step backward but just ended up hitting my locker.

"Maybe they need to open their eyes," I spoke back sounding a lot less scared than what I actually felt. He took another step closer; I could feel his breath on my face. A crowd had gathered and they were all watching us. 

Timidly I looked up at Frank. He looked so angry and powerful. Fear completely washed over me. There was no way I could stand up to him.

"I think their eyes are open because wouldn't the fire-hair be here with you right now if he was here?" Frank spoke down to me in a mocking tone. I felt myself cower down. He was right and he knew it.