27 - Friends

When I finally knocked on the front door of my house I was greeted by a huge hug from my mother. It was then when I realised I forgot to call her and tell her I was at Flame's. As she was hugging me I looked at my phone. 10 missed calls..... Wow, that is usually the scariest thing in the world, but being in her arms I couldn't feel safer. Still, I felt bad that I forgot to call her. I always hate causing so much trouble for her.

"Victoria there have been stories all over the news of these weirdos attacking random innocent people all over the city. I thought they had gotten you," she told me while hugging me tightly.

"I'm so sorry mother I forgot but I'm fine," I said rubbing her back trying to calm her down. I knew how she felt, every time Flame would disappear and I hated that I had caused the same feeling in someone else.

"Please call me next time, I get so worried when you're gone Victoria," She told me finally letting go.

"I will," I told her then we both walked inside.

I still had the sword that Flame gave me in my school bag, I need to get to my room before my mother noticed. She walked off into the living room and I slunk quickly but silently to my bedroom. I shut the door quickly behind me as I got into my room. Placing my bag down I saw it's golden crossguard gleam in the dim light. I pulled it from my backpack when my door opened. My two brothers were standing there....

They both looked so shocked to see me with a real sword in my hands and I froze. If they told our parents they would take it off me and I wouldn't be able to protect anyone.

"Is it real?" Jake asked curiously breaking the long silence.

I nodded and drew the sword from its scabbard. Both of the boys gasped. I figured there was no point in lying to them, one of them would probably find out anyway, so better to have this as our little secret. I just hoped I put my trust in the right place.

"It's a Cavalry Sabre," Jack said as his mouth hung open in awe of it.

"Can I touch it?" Jake asked.

"No," I told them firmly and sheaved it again, "it's dangerous but please don't tell Mum and Dad."

"But you just said it's dangerous so that means we should," Jake told me annoyed that I didn't let him play with it.

"This will be our secret ok? I'll let you play with it more later but right now I'm tired. Just don't tell on me," I tried to convince them.

They both agreed to not say anything about the sword to our parents. When they finally left my room, after interrogating me about where and how I got the sword, I sighed in relief and lay down on my bed. That would probably end horribly but for now, it would work. I just needed to make sure I hid the sword well or else they would sneak into my room and however found it first would probably end up stabbing the other one.

***

I had to look good for Flame. I put on a pink long-sleeved top, it's neckline scooped down so that was a little revealing. It was still June so it was freezing outside. I put on a short skirt but that wouldn't be enough for the wintery wind so I pulled on some long white socks. I then put on black boots. I was still freezing cold. It would be even worse outside. I grabbed my pink coat. That should be enough.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My purple and yellow eyes stared back at me. I'm so glad my mother hasn't said anything about my left eye turning yellow because I have no idea what I would have told her since I'm still not so sure myself.