Chapter 33.

The days since Chase found out the truth have been a lot more pleasant than my mind had led me to believe possible.
I'm surprised by how easily he treats me the same.
He's still playful and isn't shy about teasing me, I'm glad about that.
Lola thinks the truth coming out my truth and Chase truth has helped us build bridges from the past and allowed us to walk over them without fears they'll crumble.
Without worry a troll will jump up mid walk and prevent us reaching the present.
"Is this finally the end of all the fall outs?" Lola raises a suspicious brow and I laugh a little too lad considering the circumstances.
"I'm not making any promises," I jest.
"Are you going to speak to Tate?"
I look along the busy cafeteria and notice Tate sat puppy eyed watching me, I shrug, "there's nothing to talk about. I'm not holding a grudge against him, but I don't want to talk to him."
Lola seems surprised by this as her eyes widen.
"The school years almost over we've got prom and the final project and graduation.
I honestly don't want to waist time on Tate drama."
"Preach it girl," Lola mocks bowing down to my feet, "speaking of prom."
I know where this is heading before she even says it, I take a spoonful of my pink Jello, picking up the carton taking a fake interest into it.
"I have a date," my food goes flying out my mouth from the shock and I'm chocking, not what I was expecting.
I cough repeatedly making Lola's annoyance grow,
"Sorry, I just didn't think you were the date type."
I lift my brow and she admits defeat. "Well I'm not but," -
"Will I finally meet the girl who's made my best friend the dating type?"
I feel like a terrible friend recently. There's so many times I've completely neglected my best friend when she's needed me most the top one.
She was courageous to share who she is completely with me and I don't even know who she's dating, what a lame and selfish friend I am.
"Henry," my eyes go wide and I blink a few times too many, then it hits.
"Lola but-"
"No buts, it's not because I'm afraid of coming out or whatever crap you're going to say okay."
I can tell by the look in her eyes that she's trying to convince herself of that, not me.
My heart can't help but ache for the girl, my strong and fierce best friend she is so unapologetically herself. I love her for that.
The rite a passage as intense as prom isn't the place she wants to show everyone who she is I respect whatever she does.
"I just don't want Prom to turn into Chinese whispers." I nod,
"well if you change your mind, I'd love to meet her at prom."
I nudge her shoulder with mine and she nudges me back, "love you Al."
"Love you right back L."
Chase enters the cafeteria, "has he asked you to prom yet?"
I laugh at the thought of Chase and I acting like an actual couple at prom, together. The reality is I don't know if he'll ask me.
"He'll ask you, and then he might finally make you his God damn girlfriend."

All day long there's been guys and the occasional girl making grand gestures asking someone they like to prom.
I've never understood this culture in High School.
It's never been something I've wanted any part in.
Asking someone to the school dance has become a competition over who can ask in the most romantic way. With the biggest gestures, I just don't want any part in it.
I'm almost certain it's the only reason these people ask someone to prom.
Whatever happened to walking up the person you like and asking them privately to go to Prom.
I don't even care for Prom.
Well I do care but I don't care enough to be the person who puts all the thought and planning into the night.
Most the team think it's crazy that the Captain of the Cheer team is completely disinterested in taking control on the planning process.
The concept of all eyes being on me and if I've pulled off a good night scare every nerve in my body.
I couldn't bare to be held accountable for the theme, the colour scheme, the music as well as having to make sure I look good.
I shiver I'd much rather wear a pretty dress, have my hair done up and make up and turn up to someone else's well planned night and compliment another for their efforts.
"Hey you," Chase comes up behind me and rests his chin in the crease on my neck.
"Come shoot me playing for the project?"
I don't agree but that doesn't matter to Chase he takes my hand and leads the way to the music room and I follow.
At least working on the project gets me away from all these over the top acts of love.

"Okay come on then play me a melody."
I demand with my hand stretched out waiting for Chase to pass me the camera. Ge immediately starts laughing.
"What's so funny," my patience is wearing thin today.
"Don't you think we have enough footage of me singing?"
He puts the camera down and I notice him press the on button as he rests it on the stool but I'm sure it was an accident.
"Well yeah I just thought you were being a bit vain You asked me to shoot some scenes for our project."
I shrug and he laughs all the more.
"Are you seriously making fun of me?" I pout slightly annoyed.
"I was just saving you from those mushy couples trying to out do each other on who does the best Prom invite," he smiles his half smile.
I roll my eyes, "you could have just said that?"
I fold my arms, "are you really annoyed?"
I shrug, "maybe." He cocks his head to the side trying to work out if I'm bluffing.
I don't want a grand gesture but I can't deny it's pissing me off that Chase hasn't asked me to prom.
"Or are you a bit glum cos you didn't get asked to the Prom yet?"
I shove him, he's definitely mocking me.
"Thanks for the failed rescue mission, I'm going."
He quickly runs over to the door and stand in front of it not moving.
He gives me his best sorry expression and I roll my eyes realising I was playing into his game of wind up.
"Come on I'll play for you really," he takes my hands and walks back to the centre of the music room, he tells me he's sorry for teasing me and kisses the annoyance right out of me.

We spend the rest of free period in the music room.
Chase is so musically gifted and I watch in awe as his long fingers move like light pieces of string along the keys of the grand black piano in the corner of the music room.
I smile as I share the stool with him enjoying every second of the noise his talented fingers create.
His eyes are closed as he becomes one with the power that music stirs within him; I remember watching him for hours when we were younger completely lost in his ability to make the music from the keyboard so hypnotic to a child.
"Will you go to Prom with me Al?"
I'm instantly shocked out of my trance unsure if I really did hear him correctly.
He doesn't stop playing but he turns his head to look at me, "well?"
He presses with a smile.
"Or is this too corny too?" He gestures to him playing the piano while asking me to prom.
I laugh not realising the laughter has released a trapped tear.
"Chase," I breath and smile up at him, "of course."
He stops playing the music notes and turns to me.
"Sorry it wasn't a show stopper way to ask you bu-" I kiss him interrupting his speech.
I pull away smiling from ear to ear.
"This is only the way I would ever want to be asked to Prom, in a quiet place, just us."
I kiss him again, "and asked by you."
Chase's smile is bright since he discovered the truth about what happened with Charlie as much as I know he's tried, his smile has never felt quiet as bright as usual. Its the guilt. The pain and the anger.
But today, after hearing me agree to Prom, I'm welcomed by the fullest smile.
"This is all I could have wanted Chase." I smile as he hugs me tighter.
"you better get a pretty dress, I have a reputation to uphold."
He kisses my nose playfully and in moments like this I feel like a normal High School girl and this is exactly how I always want to feel, blissfully content in my happiness.