Chapter 8.

"Break, oh my God BREAK!" Chase screams from the passenger seat.
 Genuine panic in his shaky nerve stricken voice, I look in his direction and scowl at him for being so dramatic. I am not a bad driver.
"Eyes on the damn road," Chase motions to the road ahead and I roll my eyes.
"Is this why you offered me a ride, are you trying it kill us?"
He laughs, and his laughter fills my little car.
"One more word and you can walk the rest of the way," I warn him and I wait for him push his luck, and right on queue in typical Chase fashion he tries to call my bluff.
"I'm sorry, but," he pauses briefly.
 "Who the hell gave you a drivers license?" My blood begins to boil at the boy who continuously taunts me so, in typical Ally Benson drama queen style, I pull over into the closes lay by.
"Out," I demand unlocking the passenger door, "I would rather trust my luck out here with some psycho killer than drive in this car with you."
He's howling to himself and I can't resist joining in there he goes pushing to see how far he can take it with me.
After my momentary mood swing I return to the road and proceed on the route home. As much as Chase has been testing me tonight, this playful version of him has always been my favourite side to him.

The rest of our journey home continues peacefully, both humming to the hypnotic melody of 'Cat Fish and The Bottlemen, Seven.
One song that we can both agree on being music at its finest. I feel a wave of sadness sink into my pours as we pull up to my drive way; I can already sense the change of mood from our time together when we we're alone in the diner. I already feel how different it'll be between us when we get out of this small piece of tin that is holding the rawer emotions of tonight in its safe embrace.
Chase rests his head back on the head restraint and sighs before turning his face to look at me "tonight wasn't so bad after all," he says in a hush voice as if end afraid someone may hear his confession.
I copy Chase and lean my head back moving my hair behind my ears so I can see him better.
I bite my lip anxiously and smile, "you know it's okay to admit you had fun with me."
I tease in a hushed voice and Chase smiles nodding.
His way of telling me he did have fun after all.
We sit in silence for a few beats staring at each other inquisitively, as if we're both trying it read the orders mind. We're the same people we've always been, but in the last year we have changed so much. I'm trying to figure out who Chase is now and he's trying to do the same with me.
Without thinking I word vomit, "do you want to come in?" I ask him and immediately regret it  when there's a long awkward pause.
That's the only answer I need, I feel my cheeks become warmer and a brighter shade of red the longer the air remains silent.
"I should just go home Al," he whispers, placing the palm of his hand on my lower thigh, rubbing gently with this thumb.
I'm shocked by the contact, but I can't deny the pleasant feeling it gives me. When he looks down at the placement of his hand, his eyes go wide, he had no control over his actions, the gesture was simply a moment of weakness.
He quickly removes his hand from my thigh and hastily opens the door and rushes out of my car. "Goodnight Ally," Chase calls from across the road.
He's already standing on the lawn to his house before I've even closed my car door. I want to call back to him, but my words are lost in the night sky.
I don't look back letting my sin of the evening leave me alone with the darkness as my only companion.
I feel my phone vibrate a small part of me hopes to see Chases name flash on the lock screen. I hurry to retrieve my phone from my jean pocket and when it's in my hand I see Tate's name flash in front of me.
I almost don't even answer it.

"Hey," I say quietly down the phone line as I enter my house, hoping my mom is out of sight so I don't have to relay my night to her, or have the awkward why were you out so late conversation with Tate. I already know he will have a burning curiosity of how the night went.
"Finally, I've been worried about you," the concern in Tate's voice is like a dagger to my gut, causing me to bleed out my guilt.
"I'm sorry Tate,". I sigh quickly rushing to my bedroom.
"I just lost track of time," I'm not completely lying to him.
"You know how I get lost in school work." I insist when he's silent for a little too long.
I close my bedroom door quietly, hoping not to wake my mom.
Tate laughs a little, "so you're okay," I'm relieved when his worry has disappeared.
"Of course, I should have called you back."
I try to mask my guilt with tiredness, "I've just felt exhausted."
I feel like a terrible person but I can't tell my boyfriend that I've just have one of the best days with my old best friend who he happens to despise. It's an argument I'm not willing to have tonight.
"How was the tool," Tate finally asks the real question he wants an answer too.
"He was fine," I try to give short replies hoping to end the conversation quickly.
"He didn't upset you did he,"
"no," I lie.
"You'll be done working with him before you know it, then you can go back to being strangers."
I know Tate thinks he's bringing me comfort, but he's doing the very opposite.
The thought of loosing Chase all over again hurts me more than I want to admit. He's not even my friend loose this time.
"Can we change the subject," I ask flat. The rest of the phone call consists of Tate telling me how much fun he had with the guys playing some video game I have no care for and giving me the low down on his latest rich boy purchase, I've already forgotten what that was. I should be listening to him and I'm trying too, but I just don't care for these bragging conversations. "You sound tired," he's not wrong, "I'll let you sleep, sweet dreams Ally. I love you."
I sigh, "Goodnight Tate."
Why can't I say it back. Say it Ally for Goodness sake. I don't.

I shut off the call, collapsing onto my bed, not even bothering to change out of my clothes or remove the décor cushions from the top of the quilt. My mind reeling from this evenings events and how happy I felt in Chases company one moment, then the swift change of sadness I felt when he ran away from me; I wonder if I will ever get used to watching Chase walk away from me so easily.
My phone buzzes and I feel myself growing annoyed, certain it's Tate needing to say just one more 'goodnight.' When my eyes focus on the home screen they grow wide, (1) iMessage Chase, I hesitate before opening the message; I think I'm preparing myself for another dagger to my gut.
I really did want to come in tonight.
I re read the message a couple of times, blinking in disbelief at Chases complete transparency.
The offer was there Chase...
I missed my chance? :(
I feel like a pathetic giddy school girl at Chases' confession. I can't deny the growing butterflies in my stomach as I continue with back and forth text messages with Chase.
I guess you did :/
Hopefully there's a next time..;)?
I am hopeless, this is an avenue I did not want to go down, but here I am willing going down the rabbit hole.
We'll see ;)... 
Sweet dreams Al  x
I put my phone besides me covering my smiling face with my hands. I decide against responding, I have some restraint and I don't want to give Chase too much of myself. A good night is an important text message he nowhere near earned. Slowly my eyes flutter shut as sleep finally overcomes me. My mind flashes between images of kind, well-mannered Tate, to Chases devilish half smile and his non stop teasing; my simple life is about to get a whole lot complicated.