Chapter 10

"Okay girls, before we start I just want to say, last week was fun, we messed around, had some laughs and found ourselves two new recruits," I smile as I gesture to the two newest arrivals. "That's how I want this year to be, for most of us this is our last year as a cheerleader in high school. So let's have fun, but let's make this our most successful year." I pause, my throat thick at the reality of our time together ticking by so quickly, my lip quivers and I try to compose myself. "This squad has been everything to all of us for years, let's do this," Lola speaks for me, offering my her reassuring hand. "As you can see we have a visitor, try not to be too distracted by that attractive face," Lola's full of mischief, "his eyes are strictly glued to Ally," "ignore her, and Chase, he's going to be filming for a project we're working on." I suddenly dawns on me that I did t even ask their permission, "you girls don't mind do you?" the girls simply nod and smile and I can hear whispers discussing Chase and his model face, I feel a tinge of jealousy knowing there's other girls that find him attractive. I look over at him after instructing the girls to stretch and warm up before we start; he's holding the video camera in line with his chest, his eyes fixed on me with his mouth slightly pealed open. I giggle when he notices me watching him, he quickly shrugs it off  and diverts his eyes back to the mini screen on the video recorder, I assume he's pretending to adjust the cameras focus.

I plug my phone into the aux cable and pick my clipboard from the bench next to me, "formation for this routine is: Lola Ashley upfront," I look up from the clipboard to see the beaming smile of the little red head, "Penny, Brooke, Louise, second row," the girls to take their place. "Maya, take your place middle of row three please," I smile at our tall new recruit, "Susie, Ella, either side of Maya please," before I take my place at the front of the triangle ahead of Lola and Ashley I double check the girls position making sure it looks appealing. "Perfect," I say simply. I hit play on my phone, and the girls squeal in excitement at the sound of the beat, "listen to the words," I've picked Arianna Grande, Dangerous Woman as our competition song, "I want you to feel sexy, in control and powerful, we'll own this routine." I'm excited to share the routine with the girls, "listen to the beat, Lola and I will talk you through the steps a couple of times then it's over to you guys," I instruct. We begin to show the the girls the choreography, with my background in ballet I tend to incorporate this into each routine, it makes us stand out from the other cheer leaders. I stretch my body elegantly, as if I'm a swan above the surface of a lake; one leg stretched out to the side, toes pointed, back arched with my left arm reaching up into the atmosphere. I also add in more traditional cheer aspects, I love merging the two together to create something unique. Mixing sexier movies with elegant well postured steps, it's something I have always been praised highly for, it makes our squad special. The essential grinding of the hips: or so Lola tells me it's an essential element, along with the playful kick of the leg and ruffling of our skirts. I explore my own body with my hands, starting from my hips moving up my waist before clapping my hands above my head.
"You went into your front flip lovely Pen," I tell the vixen, "just work on your landing now," I offer her constructive criticism, "you just need to land a little smoother and you've got it. I ask the girls to incorporate their own signature move for the freestyle element of the routine, Lola sticking with her classic over the head kick into a forward flip, Brooke with a one handed cartwheel, Louise jumps into the air to do the splits. I choose a no handed cartwheel, I dismount my small body into a front flip, landing with both feet pointed straight legged on the ground. The girls coo, shouting about how majestic I look. I'm startled by clapping from the a few yards back near the bleachers. I sigh when I see Chase stood camera placed on the grass, clapping his hands together his beautiful eyes gleaming in admiration. "Go over there," Lola whispers with a wink, "okay, Lola's going to run over the routine again, join in as you can and see how much you've picked up," Lola's smirking at me now, "I'll be five minuets," I assure her, she nods laughing, "go on," she pushes me in Chases direction.