Chapter 25.

"Come on Al, we're almost there."
Chase thought it was a good idea to sneak out in the middle of the night and I of course didn't protest, I smiled and nodded.
Like I always do.
For a girl who never lets anyone tell me what to do. As someone who goes out their way to do the opposite of what's asked of me, Chase has this way of making every idea he has sound like the best thing I've ever heard.
I follow him like a lost puppy and the truth is, I'll follow this boy to the ends of the Earth if it meant I got to spend more time with him. 
Being around him is comfort for me, it's safe and it's happiness. 
There is no one else I'd want to waste my youth chasing around.... 
And just as he always does, he gives me a smile that says 'my Ally,' every time he looks at me.
Chase raises his brow and laughs a little. 
"You're the athlete and I'm the music geek, shouldn't you find it easy climbing this hill?" 
He laughs a little more at the irony. 
"I dance, I don't climb up steep hills in the middle of the night Chase." 
I say breathlessly as I finally reach him. 
"This better be good." 
I warn him and he laughs showing me his beautiful killer smile. 
"You know we can't break tradition Al." 
Chase tells me and I nod in agreement. 
It's Saturday night. The last Saturday of the Summer before we start Junior Year. 
Every year we find a random spot to come to and celebrate the end of the summer. 
Just us, together, and we promise ourselves a year full of fun and memories together. 
Since Freshman year, Chase's music has got better and better and I've became Captain of the Cheer Squad. 
I'm convinced these trips are a good Oman for us.
When we get to the top of the hill we're overlooking the whole town and I can't help but feel a sense of peace looking over our beautiful town. 
Dimly lit by street lambs and car head lights from the late night travellers. 
"Promise me this will never end." 
I whisper into the darkness as Chase stands behind me resting his chin on my head. 
I feel him sigh. 
"What do you mean?" 
He asks and I find myself confused by his question.
"Us, our friendship..." I feel shy and nervous. 
Chase turns me around to face him. His hands are around my waist. 
"Do I really needed to promise you that?" 
I loose my breath at the closeness between us. We're Ally and Chase, we get intro trouble together, we laugh and cry together, we watch lame movies in my room and eat pizza together.
But, we never stand this close, face to face.... My heart never beats this fast that I become nervous Chase may hear it.
I bite my bottom lip in a nervous response. Chase  surprises me by brings his hand to my cheek and rubs the skin with his thumb, small circular movements as if he's wary he could break me. "Promise me something in return." 
His voice is barely a whisper, I nod  feeling my palms grow sweaty.
"Promise you'll always be My Ally?" 
He puts empathies on the 'my.' I look up at him threw my eyelashes and nod.
"Always Chase.

**********

I'm brought back to the darkened evening and out of my blissful memory by a light tapping on my car window.
I know who's knocking before I even look. It's almost like I have some kind of sixth sense when Chase is around.
He's looking in the car window waiting for me to respond to his presence.
I want to get out of the car and wrap my arms around his wide torso and melt into his careful embrace.
But there has been too many unnerving revelations for me to allow myself to cave to what my heart is yearning for.
I see his mouth move, I'm not the best lip reader but his muffled voice is clear enough for me to know he's asked me to talk.
I give him a little nod grabbing my bag back and school book from the back seat..

When I lean over Chase is immediately at the door, being the gentleman he is, he opens the door for me with his free hand stretched out in front of him, he looks nervous.
As if he's anxious to see if I will take his hand and accept the kind gesture.
Of course I do.
I can't help it, whenever Chase is near me I have an uncontrollable urge to touch him and to feel his protective hold.
When I take his hand I loose my breath, his touch sends thousands of electric bolts through my body.
It's barely even been a couple of days since I asked him for space but the sensation of his hand holding mine in his feels like it's the first time in the longest time.