Chatper 22.

"What happened with Charlie?"
I ask a week after my conversation with my mom.
It's a Friday night and we're at my place we've spent a short while watching our video footage for the school project.
It's coming along so well and I almost never want this assignment to end.
Chases whole body goes tense beneath me and I instantly regret airing my question.
When he doesn't speak I take the liberty of accepting he won't answer and I'm okay with that. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought him up."
I hope the silence ends but it doesn't Chase is still his eyes fixated in the ceiling.
"I should have known better that to ask, can we forget about it?"
Chase strokes my arm but remains silent, he exhales a couple of times.
"I don't want to ruin how we've been the last couple of weeks."
Chase shushes me and smiles sweetly.
"Nothings ruined Al."
He brings my hand to his lips and kisses my fingertips softly.
"I promise."
I smile at him thankful for his calm attitude. His promise is sincere and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.
"The truth is," he sighs, "I can't talk about him, after he was sentenced."
He screw his face.
"My dad wanted us to have a clean break from him he-"
I can see the the pain on his face talking about this.
"We don't have to talk about this."
"Are you afraid of him?" I gasp.
"Of him coming back, does that scare you?"
I want to reassure him that his brother doesn't strike fear into me, but I can't.
"I know Charlie made you feel scared and I know he's been accused of a lot. I mean he's done some fucked up shit."
Chase looks ashamed and I want to tell him it's okay but nothing could ever make any of that part of his life better.
"He's not a good guy."
Chase looks desperate, "but I told you once I'd never let him hurt you, and that still applies."
A tear comes to my eye and I fight to hold it back.
"That's one promise I will never break."
He's so sure of himself that I'm reminded why there's some things I have to hold back from him. Chase's need to protect me from his menace brother being the key reason.

"Pleas-"

"oh baby girl, shhh now."

His voice is cold, cutting through me like a sheet of ice.
"I won't tell anyone what I saw."
I'm bargaining with the sadistic boy. Ashamed at myself for telling the truth. He's eyeing me like a lion eyes its prey.
"You see little girl, I think you will."
I shake my head disagreeing.

"I know you'll run your mouth off the second you see my little brother."
"I swear I won't."
He laughs a cruel laugh.

"I won't speak to Chase ever again, just let me go."
I plead deep down knowing it won't do any good.
"Oh Ally, we both know you can't stay way from my little brother, and he can't stay away from you."
His smile pierces me like a knife.
"Not that I mind, I like seeing you every day."
My cheeks are puffy from crying, red tear stained.
I shake my head, hoping that if I do this I'll shake the scene out of my mind making it go away, just a terrible nightmare I need to wake up from.

"You dad will be home soon."

I hope this snaps him out of his craze.
"I didn't tell them you were here, they'll be a while."
His laugh sends chills down my spine.
"You're a pretty little freshman girl."
He darts towards me where I'm stationary in Chases bedroom.
 I'm locked in place, praying for Chase to find me and kept me safe. Wishing he would come through on his promises.

"I'll just go home and wait for Chase there." Dark laughter fills the room.

"I'd like you to wait with me."
His hands are in the arms now, throwing me back on the red tartan bedding, his sadistic smile hovering over me.
"You look cute in this."
He plays with the material of my leotard I want to run but I can't.

"The ballet good girl style is really doing it for me."
I look to the door imagining Chases sweet face greeting me.
"College girls aren't as interesting as you are in these little tights."