Chapter Sixty Two

Chapter Sixty Two

4 years ago...

Eros

I WOKE up facing the oddly familiar hospital ceiling, tubes and medicines plugged into my veins, my eyes blurry, head spinning and stomach churning. But more than any of these dragging feeling, waking up knowing she's not standing beside me is much worse that I could imagine.

"Paki hintay na lang po si Dok, sir. Maya-maya nandito na iyon." One nurse told me after checking my vitals and the flow of IV fluids beside my bed.

Even in this kind of state, I can sense the flirtatious stare that this nurse is giving me—a not so usual scenery.

I've met a lot of woman in my life; some for season, some for business affiliations but only one woman whom I met becomes a reason.

Monique. My Monique.

Where could you have run away? I asked myself.

I thought I have already prepared myself for that day that I will wake up and realized that she's already gone.

I don't want to be selfish. As much as I want her to stay, I want her to be free. Free to do things that she loves. Free to become who she aspires to be and free to become the woman who's confident, smart and knows how to take care of herself—just like how I always wanted her to be. Just like how I've always see her.

She's a reckless woman who self-destructive even it means of hurting herself just to do good to others. I remembered how she run towards the flames to save me. How she put herself in danger just to save me and how she wanted to take all the blame for the decision I made and take all the repercussions that comes along with it.

A crazy woman. That's what she is.

And I'm the crazy fool who fell in love with her regardless of her peculiarity.

"So, you're awake."

I tried to fight the grogginess that I feel and look for the direction where that voice came from.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a raspy voice. Side effects of anesthesia or medicine maybe.

"Tinintingan ko kung buhay ka pa." He answered while walking towards my bed and stand there. "Unfortunately, you seem to be alive."

"Where's Monique?"

"At sa tingin mo talaga sasabihin ko kung nasaan siya?" He said sarcastically. "Alam mo, tama rin na napadala ka agad dito at na-operahan. Because I want to see you suffer the same way you did to me."

I choose not to answer his banter and just watched him look around on what seems a private room where I've been placed then he stares back at me, with emotions I can't name plastered on his face.

"Hindi ako magso-sorry na ako naging dahilan kung bakit ka nandito ngayon," he started the continue. "Hindi rin ako magso-sorry sa lahat ng kamalasan na dinaranas mo ngayon dahil sa panggagago mo sa akin. I trusted you, Eros. Pero sinong mag-aakalang ikaw pa pala ang sasaksak sa akin sa likod."

"You can say whatever you want." I responded. "But I wasn't unlucky. I'm happy with my life even if that's what you wanted to find out."