Chapter 81: Blow Me To Bermuda

Sunlight splintered Silver in the eye. The brilliant rays overpowered his mechanical lens with too much information, causing the optical laser to switch off.

"Argh!"

Batting the sunlight with his pistol, Silver squinted with his biological eye. He could just make out the sunlit outlines of the students, indiscriminant and hazy as they ran out the door.

And leading the pack, Silver was sure, was Jim Hawkins.

"FIRE!" Silver bellowed, picking a spot of sunlight and aiming his gun. "Never mind the sun, lads! FIRE! FIRE! KILL EM ALL!"

"Up!" Peter shouted, dumping the last of the pixie dust. Sunlight set his hair on fire as a wave of weapons drew back. "Up! Everybody! Think of a happy – "

BANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBANGBANG!

They screamed. Bullets, knives, cutlasses, daggers, and swords sliced crazily through the air, ricocheting and sparking against the stonework.

Peter slammed against the ceiling. A bullet hummed like a chainsaw by his ear. Someone screamed. Peter flinched. He dodged. Another bullet exploded under his arm, peppering the wall in someone else's blood.

"Peter!"

Peter's head snapped. "Wend—?" He looked up. A dagger blasted into his face. Peter jerked, leaving his breath behind. The dagger sailed into the wall, dislodging icicles as Peter rolled uncontrollably through their air.

Two hands seized his waist. Peter wrenched back, one hand covering his face and the other reaching for the assailant.

"Peter! It's me!"

"Wendy?"

BANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBANGBANG!

"This isn't working!" Peter uncurled his hand from Wendy's head. Through her hair, he saw the other students, hugging the ceiling and hiding in the light.

Peter looked back at the window. The sun continued to rise. For the moment, the light protected them, shielding them by skewing the villain's aim.

But not for long.

Soon, the sun would pass over the horizon and into Maleficent black vortex.

The light would extinguish...and they would be shot down. One by one.

Peter clenched Wendy's curls. He could feel how hard she was working just to fly, let alone avoid getting killed. Peter looked around: his chest thumped. Everyone else, even Rat Tail, struggled to stay afloat over the pirates and villains' gunfire.

Shielding Wendy, Peter inched forward. With the uncharacteristic maturity of an emergency aid, he took two seconds to scope the hall and two more to plan an escape.

"Rat Tail!" Peter screamed, hitting the ceiling for emphasis. "Rat Tail! Rat Tail! JIM!"

Jim looked. His face was sharp with exigency and viscous with resolve.

Grabbing Wendy's wrist, Peter kicked. "COME ON!" Like a red comet, he blazed over the pirates and villains. "THIS WAY! NOW!"

"Go!" Jim shouted, shoving each student after Peter without hesitation. "Go! GO! Follow Pan! MOVE!"

They flew. Pouncing from the wall, Jim followed the students into the gunfire. "Whatever happens!" he shouted, watching Ariel through her blood red hair. "Head straight for the magic oven!"

"Magic...oven...? Magic ov—" Silver's moth opened, incredulously. Knee joint ripping in it's socket, he raced frantically to the headmaster's office door. Kicking aside Merlin, Silver programmed the gears in his mechanical arm and blasted the door shut.