Chapter 67: The Ball

"Well, look what blithering hot mess cleans up nice."

Jim straightened. Quickly, he pressed the magical oven shut as Silver limped across the kitchen.

Silver leaned on his mechanical leg. Massing his opposite hip, the cyborg appraised Jim's formal wear. It wasn't extravagant, black on blacker, but the boy looked older.

Jim rolled his eyes. "Dumb, I know." Embarrassed, Jim pulled at his collar and sleeves. Missing buttons, the sleeves flapped open. "Few damn buttons missing."

Silver considered. "Take out yer earring." Silver finally ordered, removing his own.

Jim reached protectively to his ear. "Yeah, don't think so."

"Take out..." Silver repeated, holding up his golden loop. "...the bloody earring. Makes ye look like a girl anyways. Come on. Out w' it, Lad."

Persuaded only because Silver had taken out his, Jim reluctantly handed over his golden earring.

Grunting, Silver took Jim's earring. Comparing the weights, he muttered. "That'll do." and detached a crucible from his prosthetic kneecap.

Jim frowned as the earrings plunked into the graphine cup. "What are you – hey!"

"Stand back!" Silver grinned, flipping an acetylene torch from his mechanical arm. Restrained only by the 2000 degree flame, Jim watched horrified as Silver melted, molded, and cooled the earrings into two small, round, golden...

"Cufflinks."

Carefully, Silver fastened the cufflinks. Stepping back, he quietly watched as Jim tested the sleeves. The golden studs stood out on the black fabric.

"Not bad ass as an earring." Jim rotated his forearms, watching the cufflinks shine. He looked up at the cyborg. "But pretty cool."

Silver grinned. Jim ran a hand through his hair. "Thanks...I uh...well, thanks."

Morph cooed. Squishing onto Jim's hand, he gnawed the golden cufflink.

"Eh..." Silver grunted, running a hand over his own kerchief, "...it's not a button. But it'll do jus fine."

"Yeah." Jim agreed.

"Besides," Silver proceeded quickly to change the conversation. "Can't have them sleeves flappin' like fish in a stream when ye ask that one lucky lass to dance."

"Yeah...." Reluctantly, Jim followed Silver from the magic oven and across the kitchen. Bubbling on a separate stove top were four massive pots of chocolate fondue. Sliding onto the table top, Jim watched Silver dip strawberries into the gurgling chocolate. "...don't think that's gonna happen."

"Really?" Silver set down a strawberry. Extracting a shaker from his mechanical arm, he doused the strawberry in vanilla sprinkles. "Why so?"

Jim shrugged. He handed Silver another strawberry. "Lost a bet."

"Ahh." Silver rotated the strawberry before dipping it into the pot. Navigating the dripping chocolate, he set the berry down. "Should have fought 'im instead. Fist te fist."

Jim rolled his shoulders. They were still sore from stacking rocks. "Tell me about it."

"Well..." Sprinkling the last chocolate covered strawberry, Silver stacked the tray onto his shoulder and limped to the kitchen door. Jim followed. The hallways sagged with music blaring from the gymnasium. Silver raised his voice to be heard. "All's well that ends well though, Lad."

Jim half laughed. "Oh yeah? Wanna tell me why?"

Silver paused at the gymnasium doors. Then, grinning widely, he pushed Jim through them.