Chapter 59: Caught Red Handed

Wart opened the refrigerator. Thin light needled across the dark kitchen. Wart glanced over his shoulder. Then, after a disappointing survey, he decided to try the pantry.

"Boo!"

"Whoa-what! Whoa!"

"Gotcha!"

"Peter!"

Cinderella peeked out of her hiding place. Convinced that all was clear, she marched crossly to where Peter wrestled Wart to the floor. Worriedly, she glanced up the stairwell.

"Boys! Quiet! Hush! If Madame Tremaine hears you – "

"We'll give her Wart!" Pete whispered, pinning Wart's hand behind his back. "Human sacrifice!"

"I can't breath!" Wart laughed, quietly as he could. Freeing a hand, he wrangled with Peter's head. Peter emitted a noise like a dying engine.

"Boys!" Cinderella hissed, stepping over the wrestling match. "Peter! Wart! Cut it out! Just get something to eat and then – "

"Cat!" Wart gasped, chest deflating under Peter's weight.

Cinderella scowled through the darkness. "What?"

"Cat!" Wart rolled urgently, pointing at the refrigerator. "Cat! Cat! Cat!"

Cinderella turned. "Lucifer!"

"Get him!" Peter popped up, stepping on Wart. "Quick! Don't let him tell Lady Tremaine!"

It sounded ridiculous. But, the three charged at Lady Tremaine's fat feline spy. Peter kicked into the air. Cinderella grabbed a broom. Wart threw open the refrigerator door, blasting light into the kitchen.

"There!" Cinderella swung as Lucifer darted under the table. She gasped as three chairs overturned. "Wart! Your side! Your side! By the microwave!"

Wart lunged. Lucifer hissed and zigzagged between Wart's fingers. Wart yelped, snapping his hands back from Lucifer's claws. "Ouch!"

"Here kitty, kitty!" Peter dove. "Come here you mangy – gotcha!"

Puffing and spitting, Lucifer meowed like a banshee. Cinderella and Wart leapt clear of Peter's path as he tumbled head over heels.

"Take him!" Peter yelled. Wildly, he ran around the table holding Lucifer at arms length. Frantically, he threw the cat at Wart. "Here!"

"I don't want him!" Wart stumbled back, tripping over an upturned chair. He kicked at the spitting ball of fuzz and fury. "Just throw him! Throw him!"

"Where?!"

"I don't know! The toilet?"

"Even I think that's gross!"

A headlight blared outside. An engine died.

"Kay!" Wart wrenched himself up. A car door slammed shut. "Peter! Drop Lucifer before we get caught—"

"I'm trying—" Peter swerved, dodging Lucifer's claws "—not to go blind here!"

"Oh!" Cinderella raised her broom. Footsteps padded up the Orphanage walkway. "Wart! Open the window! Peter hold Lucifer still! Ready! Set!"

Keys jingled.

Cinderella swung.

WACK!

"MEEEEEEEE-OWWWWWWWWW!" Lucifer vaulted across the kitchen, out the window, and over the hedge, soaring like a fluffy ballerina.

Cinderella, Wart, and Peter sprinted to the window. They cringed as Lucifer plunged. And landed.