Chapter 22: Intermission

"Rivetin'...taint it, Jimbo?"

Jim heard the gears clicking before he and Wendy turned around.

Silver. Grinning as Michael immediately took refuge behind Wendy, Silver sauntered up to Jim.

Methodically, Silver flicked sharp gears in and out of his metallic hand.

"Want something?" Jim asked, harshly. He felt Michael peeking between their knees. "Or'd you just resurface for the 6 month oiling?"

"Manners, manners, manners..."Silver grinned, his red eye pivoting to Wendy. "And the oiling's every once a month, Jimbo. Well now. Who's this?"

"None of your business."

"Girlfriend? Introduce me."

"I said shove it, it's none of your business."

"Jim." Wendy frowned disapprovingly. Politely not gawking at Silver's bizarre metal implants, she nodded respectfully. "I'm Wendy, Mr. Silver. Jim and I are friends. And you and I have met before. I was in elementary school."

Silver grinned. "ABC's of Eatin' at the health fair, I suppose?"

Wendy nodded, relieved that the cyborg was friendly. "That was it."

"Well ain't that a fine how'd ye do." Adjusting a squeaking dial, Silver tilted his head, keeping an eye on Wendy. "Enjoyin' the show then, are ye? Picked yet from the whimsical Bag o' Tricks?"

"No we haven't." Jim cut in. He tried to edge Wendy back into the auditorium. "What are you taking inventory?"

The dial Silver had been working on suddenly started to ticker. Straightening the bandana over his ears, the cyborg winked his red eye. "Either way...I'll be keepin' an eye out. Ye can bet yer britches on that."

Jim scowled. "Yeah I'll bet. Wen, Mike let's go."

"Good luck te ye." Silver said quietly to their backs. Reaching up, he pressed a button by his eye socket. A recorder started to reel. Silver smiled softly. "Ye'll need it."

"Jim!" Wendy reprimanded, hefting Michael into her arms. It had been a trying day for her brother and his classmates. Mistress Minnie and Masters Goofy and Kronk were up to their necks in confused, overly-excited children.

Similarly, Wendy tried to cradle Michael into a state of calm. "Jim!" she whispered again, patting Michal's back. "Jim, just because Mr. Silver is a little bodily impaired –"

"He's a creep!"

"He has a disability! Prosthetics don't make him any less deserving of basic consid– "

"Ok. Before you kill me with the coexist crap-" Jim pulled Wendy into her seat. "—remember when I told you about Billy Bones? The old geezer that gave me the metal orb then croaked?"

Wendy made a face, obviously not thrilled with Jim's choice of words. Nevertheless, she nodded. "Yes."

"Remember what he warned me? Beware?" Jim glanced quickly to the side before lowering his voice. "Beware of the man with the metal hand? Metal hand?"

Wendy squeezed Michael. Her eyes were wide. "...oh...no...Jim it can't be...Mr. Silver?"

"Why not?"

"Well..." Wendy looked unconvinced with her argument, "....it could have been anyone, Jim." she finally offered halfheartedly, "Couldn't it have?"

"Yeah, anyone with a metal hand. Wen, I have detention with Silver! And there's something not right!"

Hair curled on the back of Jim's neck. Both he and Wendy searched the back of the auditorium. There was Silver, reclined against the speaker system. His red eye had full view of the auditorium. Quickly, Jim and Wendy looked away as the red eye jerked in their direction.

"Either way..." Jim said in a hushed voice. "...Wen we have to be careful. Just in case. Deal?"

Wendy stroked Michael's hair. Quietly she nodded. "Deal. Um...Jim?"

Jim adjusted in his seat. Students were returning. There was a joyful buzz in the aftermath of the Genie and Aladdin's magic lamp.

"Yeah?"

Wendy brought up her legs as Rapunzel hopped past and plopped into her seat. "Does...or...do you have the metal orb? The one Billy Bones gave you?"

Jim became sullen. "No." he said bitterly as Peter Pan pranced to the stage, cockily waiting his turn to pick from the Magic Bag of Tricks.

Jim rubbed his knuckles. "No. Pan still has it. Asshole."

The lights dimmed. Headmaster Mickey returned to stage.

"By the way..." Jim leaned over to Wendy, nodding to Peter as he strut across the stage. "...did you give him that shiner?"

Jim couldn't see, but knew Wendy was smiling in the darkness. "Yes."

Jim almost grinned. Satisfied, he sat back. "Good girl."