Chapter 20

Chapter 20

We decided to make a brief stop at the Fire Claw pack before returning to the Silver Moon pack.

"I'll inform Rick of our situation and grab my stuff. I won't be long," I told Jake before hopping out.

I saw him nod his head before shutting the car door.

I contemplate whether I should go to my room first, or find Rick. I decided for the latter.

'Rick, meet me at the study room' I mind linked him. The study room would probably be empty.

As I enter the room, unpleasant memories float in my mind. But I push it off, there's no time for that.

The door opened and Rick's voice rang before the door could shut properly.

"What's wrong?" His voice sounded urgent.

I turned around and faced him. The good thing with Rick, I can always be blunt.

"I need to go back. Can you guys manage the training with four personnel?"

Rick nodded, "Of course. But what on earth happened that you need to go back?"

"It's probably more serious that we thought," I sigh.

"What do you mean?"

"We think we're not only dealing with rogues..."

"..."

"It's not for certain but we think the witches are involved..."

"W-what? Witch?" his face stiffen. "It's impossible. They extinct long time ago"

I put my hand on Rick's shoulder, "Humans think we don't exist too, Rick. What if it's the same case?"

"..."

"What if they're out there, trying to revive their kind?"

"Is that what they said during the meeting?"

I shook my head. "They never mentioned witch. It's merely my speculation."

"Why?"

"They found traces of mana..."

Rick nodded. "Then it could be anything. Not necessary witch," he said.

"Yes, as I said I was just guessing. But Jake and I need to hurry back to our territory"

"I understand. We'll be fine here, go back first and update me later"

I nodded and patted his shoulder before heading out.

At the end of the hall, an arm grabs me out of the blue.

'What the...!'

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" Connor stared fiercely at me.

I sigh, silently cursing werewolves sharp hearings. I planned to leave quietly, but obviously that's not gonna happened now.

"I don't have time for this Connor" I try to pass through him. But he's uselessly big and blocked the corridor easily.

"Explain!" he demanded.

I rolled my eyes, "Just as you heard. I'm going back home"

"This is your home!" he shouted.

I froze. Stopping any movement to pass him. Bitter laugh escaped my lips.

'Is he kidding me?'

I ran my fingers through my hair. Wondering what I could say to get through his thick brain.

"Tell me. When you see me, what did you feel?"

"W-what?"

"From what I see, all you feel is anger..."

"..."

"I don't understand why you insist this is the home of someone who infuriates you so much," I explained.

Connor sighed and rubbed his face roughly. Now that he recalled, Connor always talks to Isabella only when there's something unpleasant.

"That's not what I mea-"

"Maybe that's just the nature of our relationship," I cut him. His face was hardened by my words.

"This is your home, Isabella. This is where you were born and grew up. Where you parents and family are"

"Home? For me, this place..." my voice trailed off as I stared at my surroundings.

"Is the place where I was abandoned," I shrugged as if it's not a big deal.

Connor's eyes grew at my reply before answering me calmly for the first time, "I know not everyone treated you right before, but if you stay, I promise things would be different."

I shook my head with a small smile.

"The thing like your love... I don't want it anymore"