Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

At the end, I never went to visit Damion.

I'm not ready.

I feel like I'm acknowledging the fact that he died if I go there.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Rick tapped my forehead.

"Nothing," I denied.

"I know you better than that Isa"

"I know" I chuckled.

Training starts in 5 minutes! Beatrice yelled through the pack link.

"Shall we?" Rick asks, offering me his hand.

I laugh at the way he pretends to be a gentleman. Nevertheless, I still played along and took his hand.

We looked funny. Dressed in training clothes but acting as if we're an old couple in medieval times.

My laugh that echoes through the corridor reaches a certain someone who's standing at the end of the hall.

Connor never heard Isabella's sincere laugh.

All he heard before are mocking and sarcastic laughs.

His heart twisted, but no one but himself knew.

At the back yard, Merle starts gathering the pack members. His voice was loud enough to be heard by everyone.

"Today training will focus on speed! It is one of the basic skills and often overlooked, yet crucial. In order to win, you need to be faster than your opponent. You need to be one step ahead!" Merle turned his head to Beatrice, signaling her to explain the routine.

"Get ready for a run! We'll record your time," Beatrice explained shortly.

Human forms turned into wolves. Ready in position as they wait for the mark. At the count of three, the land vibrates as paws hit the ground.

After a couple of minutes, the first wolf reached the mansion. Only when the last wolf exits the forest, Merle looks at his stopwatch.

"You guys are fast," he stated and some wolves are howling in pride.

"But not fast enough!" he continued.

Making me fail miserably at holding back my laugh.

Merle looked at me expectantly, "Do you mind sweetheart?" he asked me sweetly.

Show time!

I grinned as he winked at me.

"Which one of your wolves is the fastest?" I asked Connor.

He looked slightly flustered when I unexpectedly talked to him. But that only lasted for a second.

"Michael you're up!" he said.

A man stepped out from the crowd. He's the one who reached first from the previous run.

"So you're the fastest here?" I raised my eyebrow.

Michael nodded, "After the alpha, I'm his beta after all."

I freeze as I realize the man in front of me is Damion replacement. I clench my fist to suppress my feelings.

"The route is exactly the same as before, ready?"

He nodded and we both got into position.

On the cue, I bolted into the forest as fast as my legs could carry me. Once I hit the border, I turn around and run back to the pack house.