Chapter 17

Chapter 17

We arrived late.

Connor rushed straight to the meeting room. Leaving three of us behind. Considering it was 'the meetings of the alpha', it's obvious guests without the title are not invited.

Afterall, we're just an escort.

I wait outside the meeting room. Hoping things will be alright.

***

In the meeting room.

Seven of the alphas sat in the conference room. Some look tense, while others seem expressionless.

"Within less than a year, four packs had been attacked," Hugo, alpha of the Midnight Pack said. "The ambush is always done in a small group of rogues, mostly consisting of five to ten wolves."

"But we can't deny the damage is worse than expected" Connor growl lowly.

Everyone nods in agreement.

"Can you inform us what happened on the day of the attack, alpha Cane?" (Hugo)

As the alpha of Visena Pack, Cane explained the short chronology of the recent attack.

"It was during the change of patrol team, the time was only two minutes. But within that time, six wolves attacked our territory. It wasn't as intense as the attack to the Fire Claw Pack," he said, briefly making eye contact with Connor.

"They got away before the reinforcement team arrived at the border. However, we managed to take down one of the wolves. We found this on his ear"

Cane took a rusty cuff from his pocket.

On the surface, it looked like a normal cuff. Everyone looked at Cane, asking him to elaborate.

"One of our elders is sensitive to mana..."

"Mana as in magical context?" one of the alpha asks.

"Yes," Cane nodded. "We suspect rogues are not our only concern"

"..."

The room grew quiet as the information sank in. Until Jake cleared his throat and broke the silence.

"I observed the report of the three previous attacks, and I think I found a certain pattern," Jake said.

All eyes snapped at him. Urging him to continue.

He then took out a map and laid it on the table.

"As you can see three packs that have been attacked are Fire Claw Pack, Rainstorm Pack, and Eclips Pack," Jake pointed out to the three territory on the map.

"What are their similar geographical layouts?"

No one makes a sound as they observe.

"Tawhaki river..." a voice murmured.

"!!!"

Jake nodded.

"Yes. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is a relation at all. But this might be a clue..." (Jake)

"If your suspicion is correct, then the next attack would be at-" (Connor)

"Silver Moon Pack," Jake finished his sentence.

---

The meeting took longer than expected.

I paced around the waiting room. Feeling like bursting in the conference room to join the meeting.

While waiting I kept thinking about my conversation with Janice and Sharkis.

From the location of the attack, I'm sure there's something amiss.

Instead of the outer side, the fight broke on the inner side of the border. For the rogues to reach that site, the patrol team must have noticed.

'Is it purely because the Fire Claw pack is slacking off?'

I scrunch my nose.

Then the sound of a door unlocked echoes through the room.

The alpha exited one by one. However, my eyes only search for a pair of amber eyes.

Dark hair stands out from the rest.

I rushed to the entrance, with a bright smile.

Connor saw Isabella half running towards him. Her lips curved beautifully into a smile. As the figure becomes nearer, his arms automatically stretch out to catch her.

However, Isabella ran past him. Her blonde hair slips through his finger.

The smile that he never realized formed, dropped into a frown.

"Jake..." a name escaped her lips.

Connor turned around and saw two figures entangled in an embrace.

---

In case you guys forgot, Silver Moon Pack is Jake and Isabella's pack.

Any opinion on the story or the way I write? Friendly feedback are welcomed <3

Please keep in mind that I'm an amateur writer and english is not my first language, so there might be a lot of grammatical error or misspellings. I admit this story might not have the most original plot, but still, I hope you guys enjoy it!